• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Skilled Workman collection: for show and brief comment.

Antonio Correia

Antonio's wonderful images of a brick painter starts this collection of "Skilled Workmen.

We are assembling collections of photographs covering a related topic. This should make interesting viewing. I selected these images as a start. The collection is meant to be dynamic. You are invited to post images here on this topic, "Skilled workmen" Give a title with your posted image and a short introduction to it. You are also invited to succinctly C&C. any posted image. Refer to the image title and the photographer in your brief comment.

Note that this is to be a dynamic collection, so, some images might be sooner or later copied and/or moved to another thread for discussion! If this happens we'll PM you as to the new location.We'd really like more submissions for this collection of "Skilled workmen"

Enjoy!

Asher

So here we start with Antonio's "Brick Painter"

i-nPBtDFM-L.jpg

i-K7HNqVr-L.jpg

I used the 20 D with the 16-35mm lens on a tripod.
Low shutter speed.
Exposure Time 1s Aperture f/22.0 ISO 200 Focal Length 16mm*1.6
Thank you for watching.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio Correia

Thank you Marian.
I have others photos of the scene.
I asked him not to move while I was shooting.
I did them with the timer and when the shot was about to be procuded I was telling him: don't move, stay still, don't move, just a moment ... ahnnn... OK that's it !
LOL
I think I was rather lucky about the 1.st shot because I also got the outside.
As I shoot RAW, I melted 2 pics: one for the inside and the other to the outside.
It worked nicely.

You don't know the scenario but I could/should have used a reflector to give more light to his face.
In fact, I do have used a bounced flash but it did not worked very much.
Perhaps I should say that it worked so well, that we can not notice its presence. LOL

I dare to post 2 more pictures.
134215176-M.jpg

134212291-M.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Challenge: Skilled Workman Collection" The boat builders !

40 mm - ISO 200 - ƒ4 - 1/5s

A 100 feet (30 meters) sailing boat under construction…

The roof top has just been put delicately on the deck.

080229-053025-1214

This is originally posted and should be discussed here only.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We are assembling collections of photographs covering a related topic. This should make interesting viewing. I selected these images as a start. The collection is meant to be dynamic. You are invited to post images here on this topic, "Skilled workmen" Give a title with your posted image and a short introduction to it. You are also invited to succinctly C&C. any posted image. Refer to the image title and the photographer in your brief comment.

Note that this is to be a dynamic collection, so, some images might be sooner or later copied and/or moved to another thread for discussion! If this happens we'll PM you as to the new location.We'd really like more submissions for this collection of "Skilled workmen"

Enjoy!

Asher

Skilled Workman: The Welder

This is an older shot, but I have always liked it. It was published in Washington State Magazine last year.
Welder....
15096547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Skilled Workman: The Moldmaker

I posted this previously in the Industrial section but figured it would fit right in with this theme. This man is a moldmaker in my company. The molds he works on are for the injection molding of very close tolerenced electronics parts. He is one of the few remaining skilled tradesmen that we have in our company. Most of our molds are now being made elsewhere in places like Portugal and China. That's a shame.
_DSC3168.jpg

Ivan Garcia

This is my very good friend Philippe Dubreuille, as you can see He is a guitar maker, Philippe is well renown in his chosen profession, with clients like Tres Manos, Oasis, The Cure, Aerosmith, Iggi Pop, among other artistes.

IGD_5657web.jpg

Canon EOS 5D
24-105mm f/4 L @24mm
ISO 400 F/4.5 1/40 sec -1comp

If you are interested in his products please visit HIS SITE

Antonio Correia

I like the shallow DoF and the light from the window.
I also like the very soft light coming from his back...
I don't know if a darker background wouldn't be a better choice...
:) thumbs up

Asher Kelman

I like the shallow DoF and the light from the window.
I also like the very soft light coming from his back...
I don't know if a darker background wouldn't be a better choice...
:) thumbs up
I agree with Antonio. A suggestion!The bottom right hand area and the headstock and neck of the guitar can be dark with a curve and 20 pixels or so feather. This brings attention just to the guitar maker and his work!

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Hi Asher and Antonio.
Thank you very much for your praise and constructive feedback.
I did think about darkening the fore and background a little, but Philippe liked the shot as posted, and Who am I to argue with the client ;-)

Robert Watcher

Pottery in the traditional of their ancestors

Heading out a long tree covered road into the rural areas of the Guanacaste/Nicoya region of Costa Rica, lies the village of Guaitil (pronounced "way - teal") where artisans carry on the craft of producing their ceramic pottery by hand using the same traditions, tools and materials that have been passed down from generation to generation for 500 years.

Clays and colours are collected from the ground about 4KM from the town. While we were not able to see the firing of the pottery, Elma and Jennifer did create a small dish from start to finish so that we could see the process:

The pottery is spun by one hand while the other hand molds and shapes - many times using the vertical pole as a guide for measurement and accuracy
pottery01.jpg

pottery02.jpg

One of the essential tools is a corn cob for gouging out the excess clay and forming the shape
pottery03.jpg

Robert Watcher

Unlike the way that we normally see a potter stretch the clay up to extend the shape and thin it out - this method uses sections of a rolled string of clay added to the top at regular intervals, that is then melded in using wet fingers.

pottery04.jpg

pottery05.jpg

pottery06.jpg

Robert Watcher

From start to finish was about 1/2 an hour

pottery07.jpg

The surface is painted with different colours of pulverized local rock and then etched by hand using simple tools - to reveal the colour underneath and create a pattern

pottery08.jpg

Anne looking at a selection available from this artisan

pottery09.jpg

-----

If you would like to see their work and some of the history and process, Elma Grijalba Grijalba who is the artisan who owns this store, does have a website:

http://tinajistasguaitil.110mb.com/

----

Asher Kelman

Thanks Rob!

As we get more techno-robot in production of everything! As we do, we forget the individual technicians, skilled workmen and craftsman. So it's so valuable to have your photographs here.
Our magazines generally show fashion, beautiful young men and women, amazing cars and architecture.

If you have pictures of the people with skills, ordinary folk that make out culture possible, showcase them here!

Asher

Jim Galli

Rare for me to take both the Nikon and the traditional 8X10 Kodak at the same time. I knew Nevada magazine would want Nikon color. Easily done.

AdamSkilesForgeNikon.jpg

Adam Skiles, forge

But for myself I took the 8X10 camera with a Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus 18" Portrait lens.

AdamSkilesForgeGundlach_2.jpg

Adam Skiles, forge, Gundlach ii

Adam hammers out life size steel statues. Exposure at f6 in this cave was 1 second but I just let the hammer swing. After a bit I had him pose;

AdamSkilesForgeGundlach_1.jpg

Adam Skiles, forge, Gundlach i

Yes, it's normal for the Gundlach to be that diffuse at that aperture.

Asher Kelman

A great start for a new thread. So we'll do just that. I'll duplicate your reply and then we can address scanning people's film and color slides as well as prints. Everyone has piles of prints in shoes boxes!

Robert Watcher

OLD TIME OX CART MANUFACTURER

One project that Anne and I hoped that we would get around to this year, was to head up into the mountain town of Sarchi and hopefully find out where the manufacture took place of Costa Rica's claim to fame - - - it's Ox Cart.

Anne's internet research last night, turned up to main manufacturers:

1 ) Joaquin Chaverri Cart Factory - which is much older but caters to more modern manufacturing technique - - - it is in South Sarchi

2 ) Taller Eloy Alfaro workshop in North Sarchi. This one while slightly newer, was of much more appeal to me because it uses old school techniques including water wheel driven saws, planes, routers, etc.

-----

We have just returned from the 3 hour hair pin trip up in to the mountains and 2 1/2 hour trip home by Bus. We were told that it would be hard to find the place - and so hoped that locals would help us out. A man on the streets in Sarchi, directed us to exact location letting us know that it is a "old house"

It was a great experience as we were free to walk around the workers capturing images of all of the old equipment and methods. I shot some 135 images of all details. Here are just a few:

Here is the workshop ("old home")
20090220-E3203842.jpg

20090220-E3203846.jpg

Cardboard patterns and brushes with heavy use
20090220-E3203878.jpg

Robert Watcher

Cutting through these trees, put quite a load on the water wheel driven belts - and the saw blade would regularly come to a halt
20090220-E3203867.jpg

A little water on the leather belts for some grip, would seem to help out
20090220-E3203865.jpg

The second floor where assembly of the carts takes place - - - was a scary experience with it's thin floor boards with large gaps allowing us to see the goings on below. Here is a work bench on that floor
20090220-E3203879.jpg

Asher Kelman

Robert,

These 12 images show show the stages in going from a tree to a painted wagon wheel, all using skills handed from father to son over many generations. There is no attempt to clean up and create a picture we see in corporation annual reports. This is nitty gritty dust in your lungs work, splinters in your hands labor, cut treated with any tape handy, with not 9-5 schedule.

I'd like to see a picture of a cart and a little more on the lives of these men.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Building model boats

380291622_h3jYE-M-3.jpg

This man spends part of his time building model boats according to plans.
The models are made in wood and carefully painted before being sold.