• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Snowy Owl

Jody Melanson

260008934_eYpoE-O.jpg

Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Exposure Time = 1/3200"
F Number = F8
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 400mm
Color Space = sRGB
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure

Exquisite image, Jody. With no room for improvement, what are you going to do now???

Please let us know where and how this was taken. Getting an image like this with 400mm focal length is amazing.

Thanks!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jody,

This image is so wonderful, impressive, and as Don points out remarkable!

Frankly this picture is almost something one would create for a kids TV show in a cartoon to show the involvement of the bird in us! Many great wildlife pictures are perfectly exposed and well composed. Here, however, there's the extra dimension of appearing as if the owl was actually communicating with us and we are not merely observing a disinterested fly past.

Add to the the esthetic qualities and delicacy of the bird in the frame at an angle balanced and almost anchored by the fixation of the brids stare, full face, towards us.

It helps, of course, that the shape of the face, being round with big dominant, fixated, yellow eyes, forms a structure analagous to a more "human roundish" shape and very different from the "sharply angular" appearance of a raptor head.

What allowed you to get so close, jody?

asher

Jörgen Nyberg

Wonderful picture.

But bad news for my bankaccount, don´t know how much longer I can resist that 400/5.6, I keep seeing in the shops ;-)