• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

PS - Throw the Dog a Bone

Albert Chosky

Hi! Here is my first photo to share on the forum. This seems like a down-to-earth, friendly community. Thanks for having me. I hope my images will fit right in!

Photo_Composite_Dog_Man.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Albert,

Welcome to OPF, I hope you'll like it here. There has been no response to this creation of yours since it has been the weekend and most of us have some other things to do ;-). So I sincerely hope that this has not caused any discouragement.

Personally, I can't say yet whether I like it or not since I am still debating on it with myself. Maybe knowing why you've taken it may help. Was it a private project or was it meant for the owner of the dog?

Nevertheless, it is a very intriguing picture and I keep revisiting it :).

Cheers,

Cem

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Albert and Cem,

ihttp://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44101 - post44101

This s fun! I for one immediately liked and enjoyed the creation and had a laugh. I was impressed. I did spend substantial time on the picture. Because the idea is one I like and the technique is well executed, this is one of those images I feel is worth using as a case study for this type of construct in fine art. Departure from some of the points I make do not mean that the piece is not a work of art. After all, going against esthetic expectations is another dimension for artistic expression. With that caveat, and the idea that this is an archetypical head to body construction, I have the following thoughts on this picture.

First I had a feeling that "something" wasn't right. We are prepared to accept a man with a dogs head or a vica versa. I happen to have a special interest in the challenges of "head xenografts" to the human body. My intention was to wait for several replies before posting. I wish others to first give their reactions and not color that.

Why my unease? It comes from my deeply held ideas on what constitutes art. So, I'll stick my neck far out and, at risk of ridicule; declare my central dogma, my measuring stick, so to speak, for evaluation of a delivered work of art.

Ideally, the piece, when complete, must appear as a unity as if it was born and now has an independent life which can incite our emotions, make us think, converse with us, move us and have us return to get more.

With this tough ruler, few pieces own really high marks, but we forgive when we do get a thrill. So here it passes on the thrill level. However there are to me major problems.

The dog's head is massively heavy and powerful and what balance this? The body is not heavy enough. The enlarge hand does appear as it can support the head but the expansion misses the potential by not showing the thumb which might have added mass.

The open shirt reveals a hairless smoothed chest? Why? Ample generous display of hair would provide more of an acceptable human body to match the qualities of the dog.

As it is the image splits into two components. Fine, so then add to the background enough to balance this. Where the b.g. is empty, we have only the head and the body. So it doesn't completely work.

So this is my wish list to consider, if I may:

1. Body increase by two sizes
  2. Right hand use thumb too.
  3. Hair please to chest and back of hand with detail of skin texture.
  4. Right shoulder raised 15 degrees.
  5. Jacket with rougher cloth.
  6. Heavier necklace or pendant. Needs to be rather massive.
  7. A textured or some other b.g. to give the composition a milieu.
  8. Bold sharp eyes!

Still, in short, a fun picture that pays off immediately and gives a laugh and is an impressive Photoshop effort. My critique is based on the potential and the challenges for this type of work. I still had fun and dollops of it!

Asher