• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Introducing The Unguru

T

The Unguru

Greetings,

I've been asked by Asher to attempt to spark discussions on what it might mean that a photograph is work of art that has merit. I love photography and go to every art museum and photography show I can. Frankly I'm no Art "Expert" so I feel well qualified to at least ask questions. Hopefully this will articulate conflicts and common understanding on this contentious subject.

Here you have a commentator who shuns any concept of being some "master" offering kits to open the doors of your studio or present you for your next art show. Unlike religious gurus, we offer no path to heaven, Nirvana nor salvation.

All the Unguru will try to do is encourage comments on the more artistic aspects of our work.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
First Rule of OPF!

Welcome Unguru. I would like to thank you for the expertise you will share with us.

I have my first question - Is being anonymous part of the mystique? We have have a rule to uncloak ourselves here at OPF to expose the real us. Does that not apply to you as well? Do we not get to know who is on the other side of the name?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kathy,

The Unguru™ is actually a dedicated art lover or more than one person here. This cloak allows the mantle of the explorer to be shared amongst different people. The unguru is as much a philosophy development as a real person. So that's why I allowed a cloaked identity. The mystery of the name fits in with the idea of a fun but long term quest and that's what OPF is really about.

So thanks Unguru for giving us your time. Let's see how smart you are!

T

The Unguru

O.K., I'll fess up! In OPF we would not, should not and anyway cannot hoodwink anyone smart enough to be here!

This is really the nom de plume of Asher wearing the disguise of an art inquisitor, explorer and photographer. This is not quite as marvelous as going into a phone box and changing to a cape and flying! Asher really is quite grounded! This name badge is an attempt to separate critique and nurturing (as Unguru) from contributing as Asher, just another photographer and Asher OPF publisher.

Writing under this name, you'll know I'll be focused only on the photographer's posted photograph, examining how an idea is externalized and implemented to meet the photographer's goals and what it might mean as art.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Dear Asher/Unguru

you cannot be duplicated and your style will always remain the same…

I confess to prefer the real person (Asher) than any virtual art lover…

We all know that you can wear 3 different hats, the editor, owner of OPF, a brilliant critique and an excellent photographer 3 for the price of one… why should you split yourself into 3 different identities!

We are most happy having all in one…

As being atheist, I don't have great feelings for gurus even ungurus…
Smart and real people are simply the best. You are.

Welcome back to your real identity!

O.K., I'll fess up! In OPF we would not, should not and anyway cannot hoodwink anyone smart enough to be here!

This is really the nom de plume of Asher wearing the disguise of an art inquisitor, explorer and photographer. This is not quite as marvelous as going into a phone box and changing to a cape and flying! Asher really is quite grounded! This name badge is an attempt to separate critique and nurturing (as Unguru) from contributing as Asher, just another photographer and Asher OPF publisher.

Writing under this name, you'll know I'll be focused only on the photographer's posted photograph, examining how an idea is externalized and implemented to meet the photographer's goals and what it might mean as art.

janet Smith

pro member

We all know that you can wear 3 different hats, the editor, owner of OPF, a brilliant critique and an excellent photographer 3 for the price of one… why should you split yourself into 3 different identities!

Well said Nic, couldn't agree more!

Joe Hardesty

First of all, a very special thank you to OPF for embracing photographers with MPPD (multiple photographic personality disorder). As someone suffering from serious MPPD, and currently off my medication because it interferes with my creativity, I am relieved to know that I/we are welcome here.

So, on to my questions for the UnGuru;

If I expose-to-the-right, does that make me a Republican exhibitionist?

Will motivational self-help books improve my dynamic range?

As I get older, I feel I need more exposure compensation. Will I eventually run out of exposure value?

If you move natural light to a place it doesn't belong, is it unnatural?

Isn't fine art just a conspiracy to increase enrollment at liberal arts schools?

If I am indecisive about photo printing, is that a double-dither?

I'm going to take a photo later today, what f-stop do you recommend?

Well, that's all for ME. Dwayne and Jim have been bugging me with questions for you, but I told them they need to create their own posts.

Oops. One last question. The dictionary defines "guru" as a "popular expert". So as an unguru, does that mean you are an obnoxious expert or a likable amateur?

Jim and Dwayne send their regards!

3d-silly.gif

3d-rofl.gif

Welcome Joe, Jim and Dwayne! <grins>

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Dear Asher/Unguru

Welcome back to your real identity!

Asher/Unguru

I vote with Nicolas and Janet here. You can wear three hats but regardless, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.