• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chateau de Montsalvat....

Barry Johnston

The last time I was I France I visited this beautiful Chateau and these are just a small selection I took.
Here's a trick question? Any guesses on the age and exact location of this Chateau ?

1D MkII N + EF 16-35mm f/2.8

original.jpg

Pic 2
original.jpg

Pic 3
original.jpg

Pic 4
original.jpg

Regards,
Barry

Barry Johnston

Chateau de Montsalvat

A couple more....

Pic 5 - a room inside the chateau
original.jpg

Pic 6 - a small church nest to the Chateau....
original.jpg

Cheers,
Barry

Ray West

Hi Barry,

If you hadn't said it was France, based on the first image, I would have said it was at Wraxall, in UK ...

It could be quite modern reproduction, (1900's - not certain how France wrt economics back then), or original, no idea about then (1500's, a bit before my time..) I think there has been a fair bit of restoration in there. The walls look sort of thin - not your photography which is fine - but I would have expected thicker blocks.

Thanks for showing. If I find a photo of Wraxall, I'll post it somewhere, I expect it is very much different.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
C'mon barry!

we're not April 1st anymore! you're cheating us!-)

I would say:
Montsalvat is the creation of Justus Jörgensen - 1934 - Australia
Phone: (03) 9439 7712
Fax: (03) 9431 4177
7 Hillcrest Ave. Eltham Victoria 3095
Melways Map: 22 A8
Bus 582 from Eltham Station

;—() ?

PS : montsalvat

Barry Johnston

Montsalvat...

Haha Nicolas....

Isn't the Internet a wonderful place ?!

yes, this place is located just behind my house. Typically un-Australian and that would have been given away by the fauna around the place.... I was there during this weekend, for the first time actually, and the recreation in incredible. There is a wonderful cafe there and you can learn anything from simple art to classical guitar making.
The inspiration for the chateau comes from an area in France called Provence, where Jorgensen used to live.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting place to visit, with many photographic opportunities....

Regards,
Barry

Ray West

Just for the sake of completeness, here is a snapshot of where it reminded me of. (but it was a bit more to my starboard, than shown here)

Yeh, nothing like....

Tyntes.jpg

Barry Johnston

Wraxall...

Hi Ray, thanks for posting the above...

Actually I can see the similarities, although I can tell yours is the real thing..... Australia has only had European settlement from a couple of hundred years ago.... still very new and therefore the history is very much different.

Yours is a beautiful photograph as well.

Regards,
Barry

Ray West

Hi Barry,

Here is a link to the current owners - well me, partly ;-) http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mai...place/w-tyntesfield/w-tyntesfield-history.htm

I actually met the previous owner, once or twice. I was pleased that his relatives did 'the right thing', and sold the estate complete to the new landlords.

It also is far newer than you may think.

Many of these places are like king Alfred's battle axe, completely original, with two new heads and three replaced shafts.

It is odd, that we do not appreciate what is nearby.

Best wishes,

Ray