• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The purple house of Newlands

StuartRae

Taken last week on my trip to the Lakes.

For many years the famous purple house at Rigg Beck in the Newlands valley has been a familiar, if somewhat bizarre, landmark.

Alas, it is rapidly decaying, and may not survive another big storm.

350D, EF-S 17-85 @ 17mm, f11, 1/80 sec.

purple_house.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Mike Shimwell

Taken last week on my trip to the Lakes.

For many years the famous purple house at Rigg Beck in the Newlands valley has been a familiar, if somewhat bizarre, landmark.

Alas, it is rapidly decaying, and may not survive another big storm.

350D, EF-S 17-85 @ 17mm, f11, 1/80 sec.

purple_house.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Don't you want to go and rescue it? It's been a memorable ight to me for many many years

Mike

StuartRae

Hi Mike,

If you're still watching, here it is earlier this week. No effort to take a great shot. No need. Just a snap as I was driving past.

IMG_3625-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

That sounds extremely suspicious now doesn't it? I looked at the plans for the new house and it looks exciting but I imagine some might have rather kept the nostalgia of the old house? I also saw some rather detailed planning for bats. I take it there is a large and important bat population in that area? Thank you for helping me learn something new that I probably never would have otherwise.
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
300+High+Rigg+beck_cam02_CK.jpg

The Planned Construction to Replace the Purple House Source

I read about the new plans and am so impressed by the care to protect the environment and yet build a modern structure. I think it is wonderful work!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Stuart, thanks for the update and what a shame. I always said to Sue that we should buy and restore it, but I hadn't realised that it would fetch £470, 000. I was hoping more like £5,000! Whilst I'm sure the new house will be fine, the purple house was a landmark from my youth.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there was a purple (iirc) house in Cockermouth for a few years. The story was that the original owner had fallen out with the council over a failure to obtain plannig permission and so painted the house purple as that was beyond their jurisdiction. The house was situated ona bend driving up from the town adn was very visible:) When we were visiting the area before our wedding (just outside Cockermouth - Wythop if you know it) the house was a welcome sight at the end of the drive up from London. Since then it has been painted white again - I think following a change of ownership. I felt that too was a loss to the character of the area.

Mike

StuartRae

Update.

I've not been to Newlands for a couple of years, but last week I thought I'd go and have a look.

Here's the new house. Unfortunately the owner has surrounded it with a high stone wall, and this is the best shot I could get without trespassing.

IMG_0822-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart