• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Self Portrait of Me!

Charlotte Thompson

DSC_0325.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

Glad to see your pictures. Could you write more so that we can lean about how you photograph and with what lens and lights? How does the idea develop and sof forth? We need a goal you have set your mind on so I personally can make a good effort to a usefull response beyond I like it or hate it or where's the rest of it? etc!

Mike spinak, when he posts photographs of birds or plants sometimes treats us and allows us to travel with him and we learn about what's important to that shot.

For photography as Art, we want to be challenged! Your picture appears to fit that. However, I, at least, do not have all I'd like on your photograph to view it as art from your perspective or mine.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I am used to forums of poetry private invitation only and I guess I think this is the same
alas forgive me
this is a shot of myself as most of the female shots I have done and posted here- I have a Nikon d40 a friend gave me. I shoot- When I find a shot of some worth and by that I mean something of the spirit that says something I use a certain way of coloring to enhance what I think that spirit is trying to show or who that person/is IMO
I am experimenting with my photography- I rather gravitate towards the other* so to speak rather than traditional shots although I have done those as well but for me traditional shots unless they are very stellar I dont like-thats me personally though-there are many shots in a traditional form that are brilliant for sure! I have seen them on this site-amazing work*
I can't really tell you how I do this coloring because I want to keep it undercovers but you can see I use a type of photoshop
My goal is true exploration in use of colors to its max in photograhy to capture the exact mood and enhance with what I feel that mood is in color
or to capture the elusive spirit with my electrix*
if you have further questions I am honored and will be happy to answer

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

O.K., that's progress. Thanks for the intro to your private world. Is this phtograph related to any of your poems that have been shown?

Who and what inspires you?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
no -but my photos are more or less than part of me
I have a prose write nominated now for the IBC
the title is Girl-
the Photo Feral is Girl really-
thank you for the interest really really appreciate any thing you can give
I will try to show more as I go-I hope this part of my art says even more about me than anything I could write* Inspiration for me comes in many forms-I couldnt really say one above the other-I color all of my experience right into me and it comes out as art- art is always always first with me-
is seductive and maddening all at once!

Charlotte

Girl

Watch her as she comes inside your home. Her skirt is wet with the hemline dragging . She has been playing in the ocean and all that sand on her bare feet. Flowers named peony smell like her as if she were one. Her face grows wild with blackberry stains as her mouth and tongue eat them in a cherished way. Like before when he came by with his warm rum breath explaining how the sun bends its light and cows really dream as they moo.
Underneath her skirt she has bees stinging-always. There is a soft down in dark mink pressing against the cloth.
She can't get out of this little youth.
Don't go near her. Her mouth is pink like some kind of electric wired candy you see at a circus,she thinks of sex
and won't blink at the flying trapeze man.
A girl in dreaming -wild with blackberry
wild as sex.
She thinks she is a peony.

Charlotte Rae Marie Ann Lockard-Thompson

Asher Kelman

Thanks Charlotte,

Your poetry does provide much more a visual background than I'd imagine otherwise. Good thing most luddites who search the net for girlie thrills have no idea what pictures words can paint or our server would crash.

consider this, Charlotte: remove, "she thinks of sex" as it's "on the nose" and is no way needed with your evocative language! We don't need that explanation.

Great, I got it!

Now we are ready for more photographs. We have your words as a background.

Thanks so much for letting us peep into your world.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

you are a doll
but the write has already been submitted
and I love that line-I do*
I am really liking who you so very much
inspiring you are*
I will of course post more photos
I am very new to this art so please forgive what I leave out
I hope that my pictures will say everything-I do
I appreciate so much* you-

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

Thank you sweet Jacob
yes I have been writing prose poetry for many years
most of the proceeds if all go to womens charity-

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

This is a self portrait- shot by me this morning - does it work as an expression of being a portrait shot
nikon d 40 35mm lens
with some-very little photo shop-some sepia and highlight-
trying this forum cause of Asher
hope I am in the right place-
DSC_0305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
re:"Self portrait"

Interesting shot. The expresion in your eyes is (imho) well captured. The image may also be nice as a "panaroma", cropping the lower part leaving focus on one subject alone, your expression.

(the sharp highlight edge from the top of the nose stands out a bit against the other soft highlight edges)

Thanks for sharing.

Martin

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Bonsoir Charlotte

this is the 1st picture made by you and posted in OPF that calls me…

You look so sad and/or your sight seems to be biaised.

This is not a critique, I mean it's not not working for me, on the contrary, but is this feeling what you wanted to share?

What was your intention at the exact moment you pressed the shutter, what did you want to tell us (your audience)?

Is there a message of sadness or distress?

In a way I hope I am completly wrong

Charlotte Thompson

Martin

thank you for the look-see and your wonderful eyes! I did think of cropping to the eyes but instead wondered what others might think- I am learning at such a rapid pace and appreciate your kindness to me*

Nicolas
again I must say thank you* you guys are so great* The look in the eyes is very natural-you see it goes with age and my life experiences- I know the sad eyes they are for a very personal reason a tradgedy I can't seem to let go of as of now* You are extremely sensitive and sweet
my life is good though not to worry-I always look sad though it is said everything is found in the eyes and thats what I look for in humans which I enjoy the blessing of understanding pain and pleasure* I do smile and laugh way out loud
thank you so very much again** I wish more of my shots moved you- but as I go may be they will at another point

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Charlotte
If only I could hear from here you "smile and laugh way out loud"!
For my personnal taste, I am not a fan of monochromes and children pictures…

But your self portrait was/is intriguing so I stopped by… it let me think to Marianne Faithfull (who I adore) when she was young. A singer and a poetress…

If you have time, you may get there and see mine (self portrait)… but then wear your sunglasses, it is filled with colors…

This way please, Madam…

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas
your portrait is exceptional and thank you for letting me see who you are
I adore children they have such an honesty about their spirit I love being surounded by
and try to capture as I can- I do appreciate any interest you have in my work and hope we could be friends as time goes on*

Jacob*
what a delight to see you! sigh I am trying my best and always you have my appreciation-

again Nicolas-what, excuse me, I dont understand?

Charlotte Thompson

To Find Her

does this shot work for you as art or not
I use photoshop- I love the depth of expresssion it gives and the other world colors-

DSC_0289.jpg

T

The Unguru

RE:"To find Her"

You had an idea, you expressed it in a material form, then you developed it until it satisfied you. So it's art, for you! That's what art must be first and foremost. Art is both a process and a declaration by the artist of externalization of thoughts and fantasies.

Now what does it to for someone else? Would we make the same declaration, "This is art!!" or "So "This" is art?"

Yes it does capture my eye and make us react in a unique fashion so that for me it's worthy of more attention, discussion and significance. Can I hang my own ideas on it as I explore? So yes, this is art for me too!

Now see if you can express the "why" in your approach to imaging in the way you do?

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

RE: "To find Her"

Dear Unguru
I always love it when you drop in, always

Why

when the crickets call for rain around midnight hours
out of the back bedroom window-still as blue colors
why causes no alarm
why becomes water washed through Magdaline tears
and the sky
the sky calls itself, sky-

Charlotte Thompson

so you see my friend because it pleases me to do so
through my eyes this kind of art brings forth so much for me as an artist
it finds me wanting more-
the color variations are what I need to see and be-also I find my sex to be full of colors and twists and beauty and this is my way of enhancing WOMAN-giving a true face as I see us*
I am hoping you understand if not ask again I am not an easy one to understand*

Charlotte

Rachel Foster

Charlotte, it's arresting. It's unusual. It makes a statement. Do I like it? No. Does that mean it's not good? NO! "Art" does not have to be "liked." That is not why art exists, IMHO. What it DOES do is make me think. Why don't I like it? It's arresting. It's unusual. It makes me think. In those respects its a great success.

So, did you accomplish your goal with this photo? I suspect you did. Does it matter what I think? Probably. We do want recognition (or at least I do). Is it good? I think most likely it is good. Possibly very, very good. But I don' t know much, so the opinion of others would be helpful.

What I can discern is that you have a very unique, creative approach. You have an "eye." What do you need to do at this point? I'm not good enough or experienced enough to know. But I'm watching to see what you do. I'm watching closely.

Charlotte Thompson

Hello Rachel

it was just my way of asking what others might think of the style and you have told me that
so appreciate what you have to say
I always very much want to know what you think and of course and by all means you dont have to like this at all-as artists we understand that concept of no not my kinda thing but we respect the art nonetheless- thank you again -my very best to you*

Charlotte

Rachel Foster

Charlotte...you do understand I was saying it is good? Bosch did good stuff....I don't "like" his, either.

Charlotte Thompson

of course I do sweet Rachel- completely I do
you have given me such beautiful compliments in honesty and I adore that you do!

Charlotte

T

The Unguru

Guiltless savagery!

Charlotte...you do understand I was saying it is good? Bosch did good stuff....I don't "like" his, either.

This is success! That you can say you do not like Charlotte's work in this thread I find a mark of our success. That's an achievement for OPF to be able to do that and not feel bad about it! Guiltless savagery!

Myself I like the work as art and respect it as such although am still finding my way in Charlotte's expressions through masking detail. I'm still trying to discover what's going on. To some extent it's to determine whether what I infer has much to do with what is shown.

At the same time, the portraits by themselves are no where near as effective emotionally. That's remarkable. I can see that the photoshop transformations obliterate distractions a more skilled photographer might not have had in the first place, but it's more important than that. The simplification of the image removes the redundant even from the face and exposes what is needed. That may be it!

Charlotte Thompson

Asher-

yes yes-isn't it I truly love such a reply I do!

I think the masking part as you call it* is for me the bringing out part of the subject that wants to be brought out-a calling to say SEE ME* my art point of view- I am going to do another female soon and will be excited to see what I can find of her true self with my* Electrix Art*
What I truly want from this style
is to enlarge what I see in the subject as the true self-
and Asher you may have figured out my voice- you are too smart my friend and I am encouraged*
the * means nothing more than* this look and stop
thank you so very much!!

Charlotte