• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Evolution of white balance meaurement technique

Doug Kerr

You are all aware that, in connection with the making of white balance measurements with a diffuser-equipped camera, there are two general techniques that are discussed. I will label them here "Technique A" and "Technique B" for ease of future reference.

Technique A: The diffuser-equipped camera is placed at the subject location, and a measurement (or reference frame for later analysis) is taken. (There is a further subtlety as to in which direction the diffuser should face, but I will not belabor that here.)

Technique B: The camera (with the diffuser in place) is kept at the place it will be for the actual shots, and and a measurement (or reference frame for later analysis) is taken. Again there are various possibilities regarding the direction in which the rig should face, but keeping the camera aimed where it will be for the actual shot is most commonly associated with this technique.

I have been involved in some debate with Drew Strickland, manufacturer of the ColorRight white balance measurement diffuser (earlier known as the Color Parrot diffuser), over this matter. (Some of that debate was conducted here; some was conducted in another forum, which has evidently since been "retired".)

I presented a principle through which we might expect Technique A to reliably produce the information we need to attain the classical "theoretically-desirable" white balance color correction result. Drew has assured us that Technique B is equally worthy of consideration (perhaps especially when conducted with a Color Parrot/ColorRight diffuser). There are no technical principles involved in this assurance.

Drew's recommendations to Color Parrot/ColorRight users as to the usage of the device have evolved somewhat over its history. Initially, the emphasis was on Technique B. Later, Drew introduced the possibility than some might find Technique A appealing, and should feel free to use it in such cases in which it seemed to produce a better result. Later yet, he basically suggested Technique B, but mentioned that "If preferred, and for potentially increased accuracy . . .", one could employ Technique A.

More recently, things have simplified somewhat. The current information on the ColorRight Web site essentially says, after making the necessary mode settings and such for the camera, and placing the diffuser over the lens, one should "Take one photo".

I'm sure you will all be relieved that the confusion over this matter has been relieved.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been involved in some debate with Drew Strickland, manufacturer of the ColorRight white balance measurement diffuser (earlier known as the Color Parrot diffuser), over this matter. (Some of that debate was conducted here; some was conducted in another forum, which has evidently since been "retired".)
Doug,

I really don't follow your comment "retired". Are you saying the thread is not where you bookmarked it. In OPF we do combine like threads. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

I really don't follow your comment "retired". Are you saying the thread is not where you bookmarked it. In OPF we do combine like threads. Do a search and see if you can find it.

I mean that on ProPhotoHome (the "other forum" to which I referred), that forum (or subforum) is no longer listed as existing. It is not a thread that is "gone", but an entire forum (subforum, topic area, whatever one calls it).

"Retired" was a euphemism. It has evidently been dispatched to the memory hole.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nill,

Well, it looks as if that forum is still there - just indexed in a different part of the index. Guess I didn't look closely enough this morning. And my post was moved into it (where it certainly belonged).

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
I know that I am sleeping better as a result of this thread <g>.

I wonder why Drew has not responded to my email about getting the ColorRight in place of my CP V1.00??