• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tonopah isn't the end of the earth...

Jim Galli

...but you can see it from here.

Hi everyone! I'm Jim Galli, Tonopah, Nevada.

Not too sure I'll be a perfect fit here. I have a D200 and I use digital cameras all day long in my day job, but that isn't where my heart is at photographically.

I love Large Format. Primitive LF at that. I'm most at home behind a 1920's Kodak with some old brass lens no ones' ever heard of set wide open with a Packard shutter behind it. What can you say? If you relax looking at the world upside down and thinking about what the scene will look like in black and white, you may as well have a little TV set of a ground glass to look at. My most used camera is an old Kodak 2D 8X10. It's like an old pair of shoes. I can see something and get that camera set up and ready faster than most of you can fire up the digital and set your menu's how you want them.

So, occasionally I may have an intelligent question about digital workflow, but not often. I have my little workflow that I do almost every time for digital stuff for my customers. But more often perhaps you can think of me when you have questions about ancient cameras and lenses.

Take a stroll through my web pages when you have some time to kill. I haven't taken the time to build a fancy web site. My pages are blog style and simplicity itself. It's all about the pictures and what was happening around them. Usually I'm testing out some old lens that was at the bottom of a box of crap I bought on Ebay. For argument sake I will go out on a limb and say I feel the 1915's soft focus portrait and pictorial lenses shining their images onto a giant sheet of film can create something that is still unique. A little of it get's through in a 70kb .jpg but to really get a feel for the work you need to look at some of the traditional wet dark room prints.

This'll be fun. Glad to meet you all.

09Thomas_2s.jpg

thomas flyer ii

Done with an Eastman 7X11 format camera with an 18" Wollensak Verito on Kodak Panatomic X Aerial Recon film. Developed in Pyrocatechol and contact printed on Adox #2

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome Jim! Such as pleasure to see The Thomas flyer. Hmm! I note that the lens, the verito is 18" x25.4= 457.2mm which would make a great portrait lens for my Chamonix 8x10, if the bellows can extend sufficiently. Don't send it yet, let me measure first, LOL!

I've always wondered whether it would be possible to have a rollfilm back to hold the Panatomic X Aeriel Recon film? That would be amazing! How wide is the negative?

Asher

Jim Galli

Hi Nill, Hi Asher.

It's the lensboard you need to measure. It's too big for a 6X6 lensboard and just makes it onto the Eastman #2 711. The rollfilm is 9.5 inches wide. It takes 3 cuts to get it to 7X11 which is a LOT of handling. Dust is a problem i live with. Thanks for the nice welcome. J