• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rose Valley, part II: Carina

As promised, another part of Saturday 19 shoot:

1: IMG_8386: Carina

283877646_aLmhw-XL.jpg

2: IMG_8413: Carina

283877704_vur6R-XL.jpg

3: IMG_8694: Carina

283877784_ZoeQe-XL.jpg

4: IMG_8796: Carina

283877838_88Rno-XL.jpg

Complete set, including "Behind the Scenes" coverage, can be found here: http://nik.smugmug.com/PhotoSoCal/501956

Thank you Diane's Beachware for the provided swimsuits!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As you know Nikolai, you have put a lot of creative effort in your recent glamor shoots so they deserve more than just appreciating the talent, which of course we do.

1: IMG_8386: Carina

283877646_aLmhw-XL.jpg

This is a particular type of pose designed to be alluring. Hallmarks include the downward curve of the left foot, one thigh lifted up with calf muscles bulging, hand against the head eyes fixed on use, lips slightly open. All these work. The blue color of the costume is a great choice for the color palette seen in the rocks.

I have some issues

• Her hair neither being "free" or well-combed. There's a set of lines of shadows/strands on her left bare back which are distracting.
  • Right lower limb in no where land. Does not contribute to the composition.
  • Left behind on the left head and the trunk not rotated to the right would have opened her to us and show her right arm resting gently on the rocks.
  • Left hand on left thigh would also work well.

2: IMG_8413: Carina

283877704_vur6R-XL.jpg

Great skin, except still need to sport heal the forehead. Too much highlight on teeth, but not a big issue. Hands an untidy crop. Nikolai, why don't you, at least darken and blur.

The crease in the left neck is tough. Next time drop left shoulder and lighten the remaining skin fold. Lighten slightly shadow on face. A diffuser between the sun and the model would be a great with such high sun.

3: IMG_8694: Carina

283877784_ZoeQe-XL.jpg

Attractive face. Good MUA work and lovely look. She has a great smokey beauty, good choice! Don't like shadow by right armpit. Don't like bulge above right lateral edge of pants. I'd pull that in a little and pull the hip out so as to make a perfect curve like the left side, which is wonderfully drawn in your composition.

an important criticism is that the hands are not gentle and feminine. Just having soft gracefiul hands, even choosing a flirty aggressive pose for here hands if you like, as long as they are not tense and bent like this, makes such a large difference.

4: IMG_8796: Carina

283877838_88Rno-XL.jpg

Crop just above her hair. Then she is wonderful! Try darkening the right foreground a little, but keep her light. She is a lovely young lady. I personally try to choose models that don't appear to have implants. Maybe that's just my odd esthetics, but I like the gentler form. Still, her face carries a great look you can do a lot with!

Over all, you have taken some great challenges. I'm enjoying seeing how are really moving along your path. I do hope my critique is helpful.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Last edited:
Hi,
Posing is nice, model is nice but for this kind of photography try to bring something to soften the light.
When working on location it's VERY important that you are able to manipulate the light, use translucent screens or flash, the shadows you are now seeing are a bit too heavy for my taste.

It's there but now refine the thing :D