• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Great Horned Owl Chicks

Mike Spinak

pro member
I've been photographing great horned owl chicks in a nest. I'll be continuing to photograph them, more, as they mature.

These photos were taken with a Canon 1Ds Mark II, some with a 600 f/4 lens with a 1.4x teleconverter, others with a 600 f/4 with a 2x tele. Apertures ranged from f/5.6 to f/11, depending on the shot and the lighting conditions. I did flash some of them, not to get enough light, but to fill the shadows so that the bright, sunlit highlights wouldn't blow out. However, owls are especially prone to red-eye. When I go back, I will be using my flash ~15 feet off of my camera.

I hope you enjoy.

2426341607_c07e6fd034_o.jpg

©Mike Spinak

2430681188_d634bf9454_o.jpg

©Mike Spinak

More will be coming, over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for showing these, they are beautiful creatures (and pictures). Is this nest out there in the wild or is it in a reservation/park area? Can you use a flash gun without scaring them? Show us more please :)

Cheers,

Cem

Mike Spinak

pro member
Cem,

Thanks.

These are non-captive, wild birds which take care of themselves, which chose this nest site of their own accord. The nest is in a regional park.

Asher,

Thank you.

They're close! Just a wild guess, but I'd say I was about 40 feet away from them, and it's easy to get even closer.

The owl parents' judgment in nest location was really poor.