• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1 Series Firmware updates

John_Nevill

Long awaited firmware updates are available for 1DsMkIII and 1DMkIII

1DsMkIII v1.1.2 fixes

The following improvements have been incorporated.

1. Includes the following new features that were frequently requested by customers to the new firmware.

1.1 Direct selection of AF points by the Multi-controller is added to C.Fn III-9.

Settings 3, 4, and 5 of C.Fn III-9 allow the user to select AF points directly with the M ulti-controller instead of the Quick Control Dial or Main Dial.
  • In setting 3, you can select from all 19 points with the Multi-controller.
  • In setting 4, your selection is limited to the 9 inner points with the Multi-controller.
  • In setting 5, your selection is limited to the 9 outer points with the Multi-controller.
1.2 Alternate access to Exposure compensation is added to C.Fn IV-3.

Settings 3 and 4 of C.Fn IV-3 allow the user to control Exposure compensation when using the Quick Control Dial to control AF Point Selection or ISO Speed selection.
  • In setting 3, AF point selection is controlled by the Quick Control Dial while metering is active. Additionally, the functions of the Exposure compensation/Aperture button and AF Point selection button are reversed, allowing easy access to Exposure compensation through the Quick Control Dial.
  • In setting 4, ISO speed selection is controlled by the Quick Control Dial while metering is active. Additionally, the functions of the Exposure compensation/Aperture button and ISO speed set buttons are reversed, allowing easy access to Exposure compensation it while holding the camera.
2. Improves the stability of AF accuracy in AI servo AF when shooting extremely low-contrast subjects continuously.

1DMkIII v 1.2.3 fixes

The following improvements have been incorporated.

1. Includes the following new features that were frequently requested by customers to the new firmware.

1.1 Direct selection of AF points by the Multi-controller is added to C.Fn III-9.

Settings 3, 4, and 5 of C.Fn III-9 allow the user to select AF points directly with the M ulti-controller instead of the Quick Control Dial or Main Dial.
  • In setting 3, you can select from all 19 points with the Multi-controller.
  • In setting 4, your selection is limited to the 9 inner points with the Multi-controller.
  • In setting 5, your selection is limited to the 9 outer points with the Multi-controller.
1.2 Alternate access to Exposure compensation is added to C.Fn IV-3.

Settings 3 and 4 of C.Fn IV-3 allow the user to control Exposure compensation when using the Quick Control Dial to control AF Point Selection or ISO Speed selection.
  • In setting 3, AF point selection is controlled by the Quick Control Dial while metering is active. Additionally, the functions of the Exposure compensation/Aperture button and AF Point selection button are reversed, allowing easy access to Exposure compensation through the Quick Control Dial.
  • In setting 4, ISO speed selection is controlled by the Quick Control Dial while metering is active. Additionally, the functions of the Exposure compensation/Aperture button and ISO speed set buttons are reversed, allowing easy access to Exposure compensation it while holding the camera.
2. With the camera’s External Speedlite control menu, Flash function settings can be used to set the Wireless setting and Zoom. * *This is only for EOS-1D Mark III as it is already incorporated in EOS-1Ds Mark III from the initial mass production.

3. Improves the stability of AF accuracy in AI servo AF when shooting extremely low-contrast subjects continuously.

Last edited:
Excepting a release to support direct printing back in the 10D days, this is the first firmware update I recall from Canon to ever add new functionality to a DSLR. Maye it be the first of many...

John_Nevill

I spent yesterday trying out the new 1DMkIII firmware (1.2.3) shooting mainly BIF at a local nature reserve.

The 1DMkIII is indeed less jittery in AI Servo than ever before. My in focus keeper rate was on par with the MkIIN, which in my mind is better than previous firmware.

Would I stick my neck out and say it's a definitive solution?, Difficult one to answer really.

For me, the MkIII seems even more different (focus wise) to the MkIIN. It definitely snaps in faster (even on a EF500 with 1.4TC) and yet if you don't keep things smack on the centre AF point it will still grab the background just as quickly. irrelevant of C Fn settings.

My colleague was shooting with an EF600 with 1.4TC and he found settings that worked for him which didn't work for me e.g. C Fn II - 4 (close focus priority). I had better success set at 0 he found it worked bettter set at 1.

I also found setting C Fn III - 2 (sensitivity to sudden movement) to -2 (slow) worked for me.

The only conclusion I can draw at this stage is that it seems to be quite susceptible to an individual's shooting style.

The only conclusion I can draw at this stage is that it seems to be quite susceptible to an individual's shooting style.

You may also want to verify if your AF microadjustments (AFMA) are still good. Getting them spot-on also reduces jitter/chatter in my experience. I'm going to verfy my AFMAs because I'm not 100% sure yet that they are unaffected (as would be expected).

Bart

dseelig

1d

my mk 111's both of them worked great with the new firmware at the Cardianls and Chargers minicamp pro ahtletes coming right at me backlight 86 degrees and I was very happy with my take.

I finally had a time with no risk to do the firmwear upgrade.

I like it,
at least the joystick control of the AF points, almost makes up for the fact that it doesn't have as many as my MkII and still doesn't go out far enough, but at least it was far faster to control the AF point with the joystick when needed.

Just felt the need to share.

John_Nevill

I had all manner of problems last weekend with the MkIII and firmware 1.2.3. Admittedly, it was warm (UK hot ~28C), humid and lots of heat haze, but the focus was unbelievably jittery (in AISERVO) and unreliable.

Out of ~1200 images taken over 1.5 days, I binned 60% due to them being OOF. I was not alone, two other guys both shooting 1DMkIII's had similar problems.

I have since reverted to firmware 1.1.3 as I have read elsewhere (Sportshooter) that a number of people have noticed this very issue on blue dot versions, bear in mind these people didn't have issues with their MkIII before the 1.2.3. revision.

This camera is starting to frustrate me!!

Ivan Garcia

I had all manner of problems last weekend with the MkIII and firmware 1.2.3. Admittedly, it was warm (UK hot ~28C), humid and lots of heat haze, but the focus was unbelievably jittery (in AISERVO) and unreliable.

Out of ~1200 images taken over 1.5 days, I binned 60% due to them being OOF. I was not alone, two other guys both shooting 1DMkIII's had similar problems.

I have since reverted to firmware 1.1.3 as I have read elsewhere (Sportshooter) that a number of people have noticed this very issue on blue dot versions, bear in mind these people didn't have issues with their MkIII before the 1.2.3. revision.

This camera is starting to frustrate me!!

Welcome to the 1D MKIII frustrated owners club.
I´ve been sending mine back to Canon for AI servo related issues for nearly a year. Finally they have given up, and replaced my unit with a yellow dot one. The camera came with a sensor full of dust (curiously so did my 1Ds MkIII). So both units are back to Canon for a good clean.
I will be shooting flying birds with both cameras Next Saturday . Will keep you posted on my findings.

Ivan Garcia

It aperas that the Strickland denounces Galbraith - Daguerrotypes at eleven thread has been closed to posting.
So I’ll post this comment here.
As I have stated in other forums, I own both the 1DMKIII (yellow dot) and 1Ds MKIII (May 2008).
I am, as we speak, on my yearly holiday in the south of Spain, where temperatures reach 40 degrees Celsius and above regularly.
I have taken pictures of a variety of subjects with both bodies and an array of expensive white glass, including the 500mm L4 and 70-200mm L2.8. Happily, I can report no AF issues.
I do feel for those with problems, I had my share of frustration with my early production 1DMKIII. That model was replaced with a yellow dot unit; which has no AF issues, and works well within my expectations.
I will be happy to post some images to back my statement once I return in 3 weeks time (I can’t access my server outside the UK).
Ps: Keep an eye on the Spanish bullfighting tread in the uptown part of the forum: I will post an update as soon as I get back.