• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wheel marks on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 with EPSON 2400

Danny Bates

I've done my homework on this one but haven't found a solution for this particular issue yet. I'm hoping someone here has the expertise and advice I need.

I'm following all the common recommendations for printing on the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 gsm paper using my EPSON R2400 with Matte Black ink, using the Velvet Fine Art media type, feeding from the back of the printer, letting Photoshop manage the color, turning off color management in the printer dialog, etc.

And my observation is only after examining the prints while held up toward a light, allowing the light to hit the paper at nearly 90 degrees (because texture is most noticeable when light hits from the side).

Even then, the marks are only slightly noticeable but I don't want them at all.

I've also tried the Ultra Smooth Fine Art media type (in the print dialog). That produced better detail in the print, but the marks were still there.

I've tried checking and unchecking the 'Thick Paper' setting in the print dialog. The marks appear either way.

When I print on William Turner (also by Hahnemuhle) there are no marks at all. At this point, William Turner is my best option for this reason.

Otherwise, I would like to get the same results (no wheel marks) using Photo Rag because it is more available and considered by a 'photo paper' by Hahnemuhle, whereas they list the William Turner as an 'art paper'.

I suspect there is another media type that may be the exact same thickness as the Photo Rag, but I haven't tried each and every type yet.

Has anyone had this same experience and found the solution?

I'm anxious to try something, hoping for the best results.

Thank you!

Ray West

Hi Danny,

No specific answers, but are the marks due to wheel pressure, or is it ink smudging? I've not got the printer, nor used that paper, but stating the obvious it seems the wheels are touching the paper surface, possibly with too much pressure, if the marks are indents. Can you not wedge up the bar, somehow, or is there some other adjustments possible? Can you see some movement when you alter the settings?

Are the photoshop settings actually communicating to the printer - iow, what happens if you try a test print with the printer settings, not photoshop? Is it only matt black?

Lots of things to test.....

Best wishes,
Ray

Danny Bates

... are the marks due to wheel pressure, or is it ink smudging?

I wish I knew, but I don't.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the EPSON 2200 had a thickness lever and the 2400 (which is what I have) does not.

My assumption is that the paper presets are associated with a specific thickness and surface type (or finish), but that's only an assumption. So I think the thickness is set via the printer driver, not with a manual lever (for the 2400 at least).

What's odd to me is - the William Turner 310 gsm doesn't show the marks but the Photo Rag 308 gsm does. I have no way of verifying which is thicker, but the William Turner feels thicker to me. So if it was pressure on the paper, I would think it would be more noticeable on the thicker paper.

I select the same media type (Velvet Fine Art) for each one.

Thanks for responding Ray!

John_Nevill

I had the same problem with my Epson 2200, the only way round it was to lift all the pizza wheels springs, obviously this invalidated the warranty but it worked for me!

Ray West

Hi Danny, If I remember, next week, I can phone my favourite paper suppliers. They use the 2400, and supply that paper - (but in UK it may be called something different). I can let you know what they say.

PM me next Thursaday, say if I've not replied b4 (Monday, uk is closed)

Best wishes,

Ray

if I remember......

I don't see why it should matter whether Hahnemuhle calls one paper a "photo" paper and another an "art" paper. I'd just pick the surface, brightness, and weight you like that works best with your printer and your aesthetic taste.

Ray West

Hi Danny,

Mr memory man here.

I phoned my fav. suppliers 'fotospeed' in the UK, where I am.

The questions they ask is - why are you feeding it through the back, that is generally for thick card?
Is it identiacl images you are printing when you say it prints ok on one paper, and not the other?
Is it just in the black areas, and matt black only?
Is the mark continuous or broken up?
Is it roller, or star wheel positions. (afaik, the starwheels are on top, the rollers, if any are below the paper.)

The answer they have is that you are probably over saturating the paper, printing too fast, - so slow the printing down, to allow the ink to dry out.

They print normally on an archival matt paper, and did have a problem with gloss black and high speed and star wheels, which they resolved by slowing down the printing.

hth,

Best wishes,

Ray