• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kid headshots...

Shane Carter

For C&C, headshots for a kid actor. She has done a lot of theatre and supporting roles in two movies...so it was fun to do this shoot. Fire away.

57490J4O9713.jpg

57490J4O9857.jpg

57490J4O9942.jpg

57490J4O9823.jpg

I gave the agent about 200 raw files on a DVD, will be interesting to see what she likes most. I'll process those and post in a few weeks...just to show what she wants. These are just 4 I liked on a quick run through.

Shane Carter

Knowing that OPF members like detail, here is a bit of background info added. :)

1Dmk3, 70-200 2.8 IS, most between 150 and 200mm, ISO 50, f11 mostly, shutter usually 1/125, Manual of course, three lights, I moved the main around as you can see in the reflections in the eyes...usually 3:1 ratios mostly with the fill and hair light. Softboxes, 40 degree grid on the hairlight. I use Speedotron Blackline 202s with a 1205 powerpack, softboxes by Chimera or Speedotron (don't remember who makes those for them).

The the entire shoot was for headshots, not traditional protraits, so 2 is most likely not lit properly for this purpose, but I liked it.

She was fun but antsy, got an hour out of her and that was it. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shane,

What a delight! This young lady has got what it takes as her impish personality bubbles out everywhere. What a dynamic person! She should do really well. I wonder how the agent will look at the RAW files?

The pictures are so expressive of this young actor that the camera fits in with her not the other way round. I like every shot. You have a generous light source, there are no harsh shadows anywhere. The background is even, not distracting and her outline is nicely separated from it. The 3rd picture has perfect balance to my taste, however the other three might have benefitted from a slight increase in space. However these a just very minor quibbles.

Given that her hair is part of her gift and comes with strands going out like air roots on a tropical tree, the 2cd picture shows her especially well. That with the gorgeous freckles on her nose are perfect. She has a nice smile. I'd parsimoniously whiten her teeth, underdoing what one might do for a glitzy film star.

We have to scrape for corrections. Above all, this is some of your best portrait work. Kudos!

Asher

Some people might want to emulate this so can you let us know how you set this up. I can see you used one large light box but how large and close and how did you choose the shot specifics?

Shane Carter

Ahhhh, well what I meant to say about the RAW files is that I simply did not touch them, just ran batch through DPP to jpeg and that is what she will see. Meaning, zero post work...except of course the settings in DPP for the conversion. Which I think for this were Neutral, sharp +4, sat +1 and that's it.

We did the hair several ways on purpose for diff looks...this is a riot of curly hair so no fussing with fly-aways...as you say, part of her "look."

The mom did not want to touch the teeth...I offered. She says the agent does not want that it gives a director looking at a headshot the false impression that her teeth are whiter than they are. I don't know if a little touch up would have been bad, but we will see if the agent herself makes a comment. If not, will leave it with what mom wants. :)

As for set up, I put the main up and slightly past 90 degrees back to do a little bit of short lighting and dialed the fill, which was roughly 45 diagonal off the front at 3:1. As you may remember, headshots are different that standard portraits and the face needs to be seen without lots of shadows. That's why shot 2 is likely not going to work, despite being a good shot of the kid. Both main and fill were about 3 to 4 feet from her. The hairlight about the same distance above and slightly back. After a while, I took off the eggcrate and feathered it back to light the background a little too. Personally, I like background gradients, if any, to be lighter at the top and not the bottom...seems more like real life. I metered off the different points, whereever it seemed appropriate...mostly the front of the face with the most light.

Hope that is useful info. :)

janet Smith

pro member
We did the hair several ways on purpose for diff looks...this is a riot of curly hair so no fussing with fly-aways...as you say, part of her "look."

And what a look it is, beautiful photographs of a beautiful child, but I love ginger hair, my youngest son has just the same colouring, but with paler skin and bluey green eyes, anyway I digress....

I can't make any cirticism of any of them, I have looked again to try and find something else to say about them, but I really like them all, her personality shines through so clearly, lovely sparkly happy eyes. At first I wasn't sure about the one with her hair in plaits, but then her face is so bright and full of fun and I like the wayward wisps of hair around her face, well done you!

BTW I think you're right to leave her teeth alone, she's perfect just as she is.....

Wonderful happy portraits.
They are a bit too red on my monitor but that is fixed very easily in PS.

The composition and expression are very nice, well done.

good work

I like them a lot. I think #1 is an excellent pose and her facial expression is right on, although the lighting or something is just a tad off-I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

#3 & #4 are pretty flawless and she is a GEM!

:)

Shane Carter

And what a look it is, beautiful photographs of a beautiful child, but I love ginger hair, my youngest son has just the same colouring, but with paler skin and bluey green eyes, anyway I digress....

I can't make any cirticism of any of them, I have looked again to try and find something else to say about them, but I really like them all, her personality shines through so clearly, lovely sparkly happy eyes. At first I wasn't sure about the one with her hair in plaits, but then her face is so bright and full of fun and I like the wayward wisps of hair around her face, well done you!

BTW I think you're right to leave her teeth alone, she's perfect just as she is.....

Thanks Janet for the comments! Teeth are a funny thing...but she is a kid and that is what she looks like...and very cute as is. :)

Shane Carter

Thanks Frank!!! And they do seem more red when posted than on my monitor too, where they look less so and about right...not quite sure about what may be causing that but it is true...I'll re-process one and see what may have happened.

Shane Carter

I like them a lot. I think #1 is an excellent pose and her facial expression is right on, although the lighting or something is just a tad off-I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

#3 & #4 are pretty flawless and she is a GEM!

:)

Thanks for the comments Heather! Not sure exactly what you are seeing in one but if can nail it down, I'd love to hear it in more detail...ALWAYS looking to improve. :)

Appreciate your taking the time for C&C. :)

I have a practical question. Do you sign a relese form so you can post her images in a place like this? I ask because I have some images from a 8 years old actress too that I did as favour to her mother but don't have anything writen from them...