• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fabienne

MUA : Gert
Model : Fabienne
Photographer : Frank Doorhof

Fabienne_2_Mei_2008_%2853_of_53%29.jpg

Greetings,
Frank

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My quick reply is I love it! Is this for a campaign! She seems like a fabulous model. Since of course you are using Elinchrom lights and since the result is spectacular, how about how you approached lighting her. I'd also love to see other views of her, especially full length and challenging with attitude!

Asher

BTW, where are you up to in your video series? I have the first one but I have not heard what's happening after that!

Hi,
The video series is now three ENGLISH DVDs in total.
Guide to modelphotography and Inside look 1 and 2.
And we are working on a new one.

It's been very busy (hardly time for forum posts), I will be in LA on June 7/8 teaching two workshops again.

Photos were done as test for a magazine, we will see what happens :D

Shane Carter

Dang Frank, you never cease to amaze!

I have you DVDs and they are very good. Now, when are you coming to DC so I can actually take a class? Love ya buddy but not enough to fly 3,000 miles to LA. :)

Shane Carter

Why do I have a feeling if I had posted something lit like this everyone would have said I underexposed it? Do me a favor, I'm no where in your league...but everyone over on FM told me this shot was seriously underexposed.

57490J4O0165a.jpg

Yet if it had been much hotter, the highlights would have lost detail. Maybe not...wWhy is yours great and this one not...just talking about the LIGHTING only of course. Now you must have what, 6 to 1 ratio here between the main and fill, maybe a reflector only for fill...so anyway, if you care to address that, it would be appreicated.

Man, the more I look at that photo of yours the more I'm thrilled with it...I want to copy it next time out!!!

Your shot is not looking underexposed but only you know that.
I always teach my students to calibrate their meter and after that trust on it :D

Shane Carter

Frank, let me ask you a detailed question...what does your makeup person use for stray and fly-away hair. We have tried hair spray, anti-frizz, gel...nothing really seems to work...do you guys have a specific product that you use? This problem is driving me nuts and I know you guys work through this because I have serveral of your videos. :D

Shane Carter

Oh, and will you come to somewhere for a class where I can drive even? Philly is drivable for me...and I could even take a train to NYC if you are going there...?

Bill Miller

Shane,

Frank will be in Los Angeles teaching next month. Catch a cheap flight and make it a week-end. Your shot above is not underexposed. But then again it is not balanced in lighting. Some photographers will tell you its the ratio. Its not the ratios, but the blending of the different light sources.

As Frank says "To see understand the light, you must see the light to understand the light". Look at your image, and how you lit it. What were you trying to obtain in the final look? Now, what must you do to obtain that look?

Shane Carter

Shane,

Frank will be in Los Angeles teaching next month. Catch a cheap flight and make it a week-end. Your shot above is not underexposed. But then again it is not balanced in lighting. Some photographers will tell you its the ratio. Its not the ratios, but the blending of the different light sources.

As Frank says "To see understand the light, you must see the light to understand the light". Look at your image, and how you lit it. What were you trying to obtain in the final look? Now, what must you do to obtain that look?

You know, the lights are all the same but the softboxes are mixed. They all have silver linings but the Chimera is def a harsher light source...is that what you mean?

And good thinking on the planning...will do a little more of that next time. I tend to start off that way and then stop as the shoot progresses...bad habit.

Hi,
We use sometimes water or somesort of finaliser for the hair.
It's never 100% perfect but it's getting there, sometimes I need to do some photoshop work.

About mixing lights.
I think what Bill means is that the lighting is flat, try to start out with ONE softbox only, shadows are your friends.

Greetings,
Frank

janet Smith

pro member
Frank, let me ask you a detailed question...what does your makeup person use for stray and fly-away hair. We have tried hair spray, anti-frizz, gel...nothing really seems to work...do you guys have a specific product that you use? This problem is driving me nuts:D

Hi Shane

I use a product from MOP haircare (Modern Organic Products) called Glisten shine drops you put a small (pea sized) amount in your hand and rub your hands together to form a fine coating across your hands then smooth over the affected area, works like a charm! with no sensitivity issues. Not sure if it's available where you are, I buy it from their UK website.

I think it's in essence the same stuff our MUA uses, but it's in a spray can.

It smoothens the hair and let it shine, if you use it too often the hair gets like a weird kind of goo :D

Shane Carter

Hey folks, ordered some of the MOP products and will let you know, thanks for the tip!

Frank, still LOVE your shot every time I look at it!!!