• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D300 On The Way

doug anderson

Hello, I'm about to get back into photography after a long layoff. I've finally bought a digital camera (Nikon D300) which should arrive some time next week. I have way too much money invested in film cameras, and am saddened by their plummeting resale value. My Mamiyas take really fine pictures and I love my Contax and my F5.

Since I do not make my living as a photographer, but rather as a writer, I think of myself as a passionate amateur. I don't much care for pretty pictures, but am devoted to developing vision and taking creative risks. I believe that a camera enhances our ability to see what is there, in front of our eyes, and which we might otherwise ignore. It is a kind of visual poetry. I love portraits, street shooting, and the attention to small overlooked things that tell their own stories.

Since I know virtually nothing about digital photography (I guess I'm "raw") I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Glad to meet you.

Doug Anderson

Mike Shimwell

Welcome Doug

Hope you enjoy the ride.

I look forward to seeing some pictures and I'm sure there are many people here who will be able to help with matters technical and artistic.

Mike

Serge Berrut

Hi Doug,

Mine is on the way too, I am trading it against a D200. Since I came back to film, I am upset by the blown up hilights and lack of shadow details. Or it seems that the D300 does a much better job handling the extremes. In any case, I can still use my 15-year old Hasselblad for delicate pictures. I would advise you equip it with a good lens: Zeiss or Nikon golden ring. With a low quality optic, you may lose many of the advantages that the D300 offers. Happy shooting! Serge

Last edited:

doug anderson

Thanks folks. Look forward to contributing here.

Serge: I've got a gold ring 17-35 that I had for my F5. I'll also have the 18-200 that comes with the kit. Not as fine a lens, but pretty good.

I plan to keep my medium format film cameras.

Chris Lilley

The lenses which you used on your F5 are still usable on your D300, although you have to tell the D300 which lens is in use. But they will expose just fine and give better pictures than before since only the sharper central 2/3 of the lens is being used.