• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Airshow...

Shane Carter

Have no idea what forum to put this in so move as appropriate. Could not get on the base (too crowed and too long of a wait) so went to a grocery store parking lot a long way away. 400 2.8 IS, some with pola, and full Wimberley.

So trying to make lemonade out of lemons given the distance away from the main action. Most of the really amazing stuff happened below the tree line, but worked it as much as possible.

57490J4O3133.jpg

57490J4O3373.jpg

57490J4O3146.jpg

57490J4O2742.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very impressive. One thing that's almost impossible to show is the men! There are impressive pilots who are really amongst the most skilled of any profession.

The machines and the men are marvels. The angles and aerobatics gives a hint of this. I like the pictures. Nikolai is a big air show guy as in John Nevill from the U.K.

Asher

Last edited:

Shane Carter

Very impressive. One thing that's almost impossible to show is the men! There are impressive pilots who are really amongst the most skilled of any profession.

The machines and the men are marvels. The angles and aerobatics gives a hint of this. I like the pictures. Nikolai is a big airs how guy as in John Nevill from the U.K.

Asher

Thanks Asher...one could argue that these pilots are some of the most highly trained and talented individuals in the world...

I have a good friend who flies F-18s and he is awed by the guys that do the airshows.

57490J4O3020.jpg

57490J4O3422.jpg

Got a few up close but since we were a long way from the airfield and not on the flight path, they were not doing anything interesting...next year.

57490J4O3357.jpg

So the only thing left was try for angles and compositions from afar.

57490J4O3295.jpg

Bill Miller

Have no idea what forum to put this in so move as appropriate. Could not get on the base (too crowed and too long of a wait) so went to a grocery store parking lot a long way away. 400 2.8 IS, some with pola, and full Wimberley.

So trying to make lemonade out of lemons given the distance away from the main action. Most of the really amazing stuff happened below the tree line, but worked it as much as possible.
QUOTE]

Shane - base access was pretty easy. Just take the Metro to Branch Station and a free shuttle bus to the base, or Dreve to FedEx Field and free shuttle bus. Branch is the fastest.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Shane,

Lovely work.

Was this at any particular base?

Good Shots

Great shots of the planes, especially the closeup of the Raptor, good to see the old F4 still making smoke. When I was in the Navy, we knew when a F4 was out there, you could always find it at the beginning of the smoke trail, now I know why they got the name "Oil Burners". We had a great AirShow here in Sacramento a month ago but did not have a Raptor on display. Now that I have my D300 I'm ready for the next show and can't wait to load up some film cards.

Hi Shane,

I think that I enjoy #2 the most. To me it has great composition with the clouds, the smoke and the formation of the planes. Thanks for sharing!

Marshall