• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait taken with D300 + Zeiss ZF 100/2 Makro

fahim mohammed

Today in the afternoon sun.

p972919021.jpg

Constructive comments are always welcome.

Regards.

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Fahim

Wonderful shot, works really well in B & W, he has such an expressive face, his eyes seem to be staring right at me. Well done....

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Fahim,

I fully agree with Janet. He really stares right at us. And such a characteristic face too. Excellent!

How did you convert to B&W if I may ask? Was it from a RAW file?

Thanks for showing.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

This is a strong portrait. A full stare like that is usually for for love or hate, but the tightness of the lips makes it different from both. The complex expression is one of almost defiance as if to say, no matter my work and position here, I am important and tough and have a strong sense of myself. Don't ever think for one moment you can forget that. Still there is a hesitance in that and underneath a sense of fragility.

A good job. I like that its in B&W although I might experiment more with the assignment of color to tonality, but then the character may change. Still it would be interesting to explore.

Thanks for sharing? BTW, where is he from?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

On a technical note, what focusing screen are you using and what version of the Zeiss lens and what adapter? Does it have focus confirmation?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Cem,Asher,

Thanks for looking and your encouraging words.

The gentleman is from the northern part of Pakistan ( Peshawar ) and is a Pashtun and his village straddles the border with Afghanistan.

The photo was taken with a d300 and a zeiss zf 100mm f/2 makro planar lens handheld. The manual
focus lens a joy to use and focus confirmation is within the d300 itself. I do not have a focussing screen
but am thinking of getting a Katz one or the Bright screen.

No extra lens mount is required as the zf is a nikon f mount.

It was a raw capture at f/4 and converted to b/w by using Exposure 2 by Alienskin.

I was wondering under what circumstances you took the picture. Did you have aconversation with him before? Was he spruprised that you took his picture?

I can not make up my mind on his expression, hence just some spontaneous associations which might all be wrong of course;

This face has seen death in abundance. He strikes me as a man who is used to power, and has a certain arrogance, not unfriendly though, that might come from the knowledge to belong to a dominant ethnic group that accounts for half of the population again. He is a tribal person beyond doubts and the divisions and stuggles amongst them is nothing new to him. Since Afghanistan was founded by Durrani in 1747 the Pashtun were the dominating force, until the Russian invasion changed Afghanistan forever, 6.2 million people fled Afghanistan, most of them Pashtun. To keep track what alliances are formed in the tribal and subtribal structures today resembles the same impossible effort to forcast irish weather accuratly. ;)

Beautiful work Fahim!

fahim mohammed

Georg, first my thanks for looking and your kind words.

the gentleman in question is mohammed khan. from the day the contractor ( a super turkish getleman by the name of ali ) started work on our house, i got to meet and know all the team members. we have sat together at times for lunch or for tea.

you might be surprised to learn that mohammed khan is one of the most soft spoken, gentle and shy
persons i have encountered! yes he lost quite a few of his family members during the russian occupation. some of his family now resides in swat ( where the pakistan military is running a counter
insurgency operation ). by the way swat is a beautiful land ( i have visited it ).

swat,kaghan,hunza,gilgit are heaven on earth! literally and are the northern most parts of pakistan.
legend has it that Soloman took Sheba up here! it is stunningly beautiful.

i asked them if i could take their pics and they were kind enough to oblige. you have to bear in mind
that it was easy for me to break the ice, we share much in common..religion,tradition,customs etc.

most important of all if you approach them with genuine respect, they shall reciprocate in all
humility. a proud people and the same time a very humble people.

I was wondering under what circumstances you took the picture. Did you have aconversation with him before? Was he spruprised that you took his picture?

I can not make up my mind on his expression, hence just some spontaneous associations which might all be wrong of course;

This face has seen death in abundance. He strikes me as a man who is used to power, and has a certain arrogance, not unfriendly though, that might come from the knowledge to belong to a dominant ethnic group that accounts for half of the population again. He is a tribal person beyond doubts and the divisions and stuggles amongst them is nothing new to him. Since Afghanistan was founded by Durrani in 1747 the Pashtun were the dominating force, until the Russian invasion changed Afghanistan forever, 6.2 million people fled Afghanistan, most of them Pashtun. To keep track what alliances are formed in the tribal and subtribal structures today resembles the same impossible effort to forcast irish weather accuratly. ;)

Beautiful work Fahim!

It is me who has to thank you for sharing your work here Fahim and allowing us a glimpse into this wonderful culture and their people.

Yeah, it is a dream of mine since long to visit the valleys of Gilgit in spring. :)

Charlotte Thompson

This is a beautiful capture-
what I see that you have captured in his eyes/spirit is a friendly playfulness
a man of knowledge and beauty
a man not easily duped
full of strength

Charlotte