• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Biggin Hill Airshow - 2008

John Harper

Hi There

I attended the Biggin Hill Airshow over the weekend here in the UK and thought I would post some shots taken with my 1MKIII & EF 500 F4

Hope you like them

John

F86 Sabre ISO 200 1/1000 @ F4.5

f86sabre.jpg

Tornado F3 ISO 400 1/1000 @ F4.5

Tornado F3.jpg

AH 64D Apache ISO 200 1/320 @ F10

apache.jpg

Eurofighter Typhoon F2 ISO 400 1/1600 @ F5

typhoon-burner.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi John

Good lens!… and good photog!

Are these full frame? what monopod or tripod did you use?
Could you post a 100% crop of the pilot of te 1st image?

Thanks for sharing and kudos!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

I'm so impressed. not only is the lens wonderful but you technic in making artistic shots thrilling is appreciated! You have a fan!

Asher

John Harper

Hi John

Good lens!… and good photog!

Are these full frame? what monopod or tripod did you use?
Could you post a 100% crop of the pilot of te 1st image?

Thanks for sharing and kudos!

Hi Nicolas

Thanks for taking a look The F86 Sabre shot is pretty much full frame just a slight crop to get in an A4 size format.

Most of my shots of both birds and planes are taken handheld with the 500mm. I did try some shots on my Gitzo Tripod with Kirk BH1 Ballhead & Wimberley sidekick, which worked for the shots of planes taking off but was too restrictive for the planes in display as they weaved about the sky.

It was useful on the propeller driven planes as i am trying to shoot at 1/320th to get some prop blur, and my panning technique needs more practice. for the jets I am generally shooting above 1/1000th of a second so its not so much of a problem.

I post a shot to illustrate the shots on the Gitzo with the Wimberley together with 100% crop.

John

f86 pilot.jpg

Spitfire & Mustang ISO 200 1/320 @ F8

spit-must.jpg

100% crop

spit-must-100.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well, I'll have to ask the Sinar people to lend me a 500mm equivalent, but I doubt I would be able to achieve such results!
But after all the Hy6 performs 1/1000s which AFAIK is the fastest digital MF on the market… so I may try… with some luck… maybe… ÷)
Thanks for the time!