• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An iris

Ron Morse

I have little time for photography lately other than shooting horse shows every weekend.

I wanted to get a few pictures of the iris's before they are gone.

40D
CZJ 35mm f/2.4
ISO 100
f/ 2.8 1/320 580EX ETTL high speed sync

mg5093cv7.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ron,

What lens is this that takes such great pics. Is it a Carl Zeiss Jena from Eastern Europe or is it something new?

Anyway, I love the color and detail. Do you have more from further back too?

Asher

Ron Morse

Hi Ron,

What lens is this that takes such great pics. Is it a Carl Zeiss Jena from Eastern Europe or is it something new?

Anyway, I love the color and detail. Do you have more from further back too?

Asher

Thanks for replying Asher.

It is a probable 40 year old Carl Zeiss Jena, Asher. These Zeiss lenses give canon L performance but are of course M/F only. The bokeh is as creamy as it gets. I have an A/F confirmation adapter coming this week for a yashica 50mm f/1.7 that is supposed to be in the same class. Its very hard to beat the old Zeiss glass if you can live with M/F. The M/F is giving these 65 year old eyes some trouble up close, that is why I'm switching to focus confirmation adapters. However live view makes it really easy to get great focus.

I took a few shots but mid-morning sun was way to harsh.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ron,

I love the idea that live view allows you to focus easier. Could you describe how you use it. Can one look at the image magnified? So the 40D is really very accomplished! Now I wonder whether you would have been satisfied with the Canon Rebel Xsi (with the small sensor and the 1.6 viewing factor). This has live view but would require you to go back further to compose the same image. However, and the perspective would be flatter. Would that spoil things for you?

Asher

Ron Morse

Hi Ron,

I love the idea that live view allows you to focus easier. Could you describe how you use it. Can one look at the image magnified? So the 40D is really very accomplished! Now I wonder whether you would have been satisfied with the Canon Rebel Xsi (with the small sensor and the 1.6 viewing factor). This has live view but would require you to go back further to compose the same image. However, and the perspective would be flatter. Would that spoil things for you?

Asher

I believe a tripod would be the real way to go with live view. I hand hold at 5X but 10X would be impossible for me. I didn't think I would have any use for live view but for close up work it is great.
Yes you can see the image magnified 5X or 10X.

The 40D also has the small sensor and 1.6 viewing factor.

Mike Shimwell

Ron, that's a lovely picture. Like Asher, the way the heart of the flower softens as it rcedes is beautiful.

I also started using liveview, somewhat to my surprise. It works really well on a tripod at 10x to allow really accurate focusing. I forsee the day when I'll be using my dslr with a black cloth over my head - what goes around comes around.

Mike

Ron Morse

Ron, that's a lovely picture. Like Asher, the way the heart of the flower softens as it rcedes is beautiful.

I also started using liveview, somewhat to my surprise. It works really well on a tripod at 10x to allow really accurate focusing. I forsee the day when I'll be using my dslr with a black cloth over my head - what goes around comes around.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I didn't think I would ever use live view. Now I love it for the manual focus lense when up close. You can get perfect focus if you do your part.

fahim mohammed

I love this color. film/sensors and lenses at least with me have a difficult time rendering it in all its
glory and intricate shades. that it can be done..you have shown me!