• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Underwater Love

Tim Ashley

Pursuant to my recent purchase of the tiny and rather good Sony W300 I realised that the optional underwater housing, at £139, might be fun for exploring those marginal areas between sky and sea. Easy, for sure. Fun - lots (if a little cold in Cornwall at this time of year).

Highly recommended for those with an experimental bent!

Tim

p282564648-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's really wonderful Tim!

How is the picture taken. IOW where is the camera!

This is an exceptionally fine photograph. It immediately commands attention with its two related zones of blue sky and water, with the sky only under 1/3 of the height of the image.
It constitutes what I call a "unit of Art" a work which in itself demands nothing additional or less and can have a life independent of the photographer and artist and also serve it's function as art for us.

The title, "Underwater Love" tells me that either there is a love in the water or love from the perspective and position of water. Now this is what we get from the title and we can try to learn more by spending time looking at the picture, returning again and wondering how it might fit in to the photographer's mindset. With a little more introduction, we could do that perhaps.

However, there may be not much more than we see here. Fine, then we bring out own experience, values and imagination to this and these will inform our minds to generate all sort of interesting possibilities. Since it does all these things, this, by my standards is worthy of the term Art!

The importance of this work will grow according to the rest of the body of photography your produce. But on its own, I find this really wonderful and impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Chris Kresser

Tim,

The simplicity and elegance of this picture moves me deeply. The contrast between the tones of the water and sky and the lone figure really accentuates the feeling of spaciousness I get when I look at the image. I feel something in my body relax, I exhale, and I have a sense that time is standing still and I have all the time in the world.

A masterful picture, Tim.

Chris

Tim Ashley

It's really wonderful Tim!

How is the picture taken. IOW where is the camera!

Thanks Asher, you're very kind! The camera is held in my extremely cold hands as I bob about in the water and the lens is approximately half under and half over the water.

This is an exceptionally fine photograph. It immediately commands attention with its two related zones of blue sky and water, with the sky only under 1/3 of the height of the image.
It constitutes what I call a "unit of Art" a work which in itself demands nothing additional or less and can have a life independent of the photographer and artist and also serve it's function as art for us.

The title, "Underwater Love" tells me that either there is a love in the water or love from the perspective and position of water. Now this is what we get from the title and we can try to learn more by spending time looking at the picture, returning again and wondering how it might fit in to the photographer's mindset. With a little more introduction, we could do that perhaps.

However, there may be not much more than we see here. Fine, then we bring out own experience, values and imagination to this and these will inform our minds to generate all sort of interesting possibilities. Since it does all these things, this, by my standards is worthy of the term Art!

The importance of this work will grow according to the rest of the body of photography your produce. But on its own, I find this really wonderful and impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Thank you again!

I gave a false clue here, for which I apologize: the subject line Underwater Love was a reference to the fact that I love the ease, cheapness and small size of the W300 in its underwater housing - and that I love using it (despite the cold!) so in fact the photo had no title - but the one you propose for it has some connection to what was in my mind when I took it.

This is complicated. Virginia Woolf, the English novelist, spent much of her adult life near Lewes in Sussex, where I was raised. These days I live part of the time in St Ives, Cornwall, where VW also spent time and, though in her novel To the Lighthouse, the lighthouse in question was in Scotland, she based its physical description on Godrevey Lighthouse, which is the one you see in the photo. So I have a sense of connection with her and with the lighthouse.

She committed suicide by weighting her pockets with stones and wading into the river near my home town. So when I saw a woman leaning forward over the stone jetty in the photo, as if she might jump, I moved so as to connect the end of the jetty visually with the lighthouse (in fact they are miles apart and in no way connected...)

The jetty is something I have photographed many times, particularly as part of another series I am working on, so I tend to hang around it when the sea or the light are interesting.

The photo we're discussing here has joined a new series I'm working on where I'm trying to explore the visual symbols of St Ives. It's a long and involved thought process, better expressed visually, but I did it once before with Zermatt and the fetish that is the Matterhorn. The difference is that in St Ives there are more symbols and each is less individually strong but the lighthouse is the closest to the Matterhorn!

So there we have it: my weird thought processes give a meaning (to me) which is totally different to the meaning that others take from it. And both are equally valid! Now I just have to rework the original JPEG file (the W300 only shoot JPEG which is a real change for me, like having a polaroid!) so as to get a decent print from it!

All the best

Tim

Tim Ashley

Tim,

The simplicity and elegance of this picture moves me deeply. The contrast between the tones of the water and sky and the lone figure really accentuates the feeling of spaciousness I get when I look at the image. I feel something in my body relax, I exhale, and I have a sense that time is standing still and I have all the time in the world.

A masterful picture, Tim.

Chris

Thank you Chris for your generous comments. I like this one myself but am slightly concerned that I won't get a decent print from it... the torment of working with a compact!

:-(

Tim

I recently saw "The Hours", movie about, among others, Virginia Woolf and her end of life... First time i saw your picture, i just found it very good. With your explanations about VW, it became deeper.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

Thanks for sharing. Art primarily is an expression, (whether he/she knows it or not), of personal imagination and imperatives. You are fortunate to be in communication with your inner world and so have a headstart over much of the rest of us!

Our enjoyment is of less importance. We may just grasp the superficial enticements of esthetics, sentimentality and craftsmanship. However, with your generous disclosure, we can walk at least a mile behind you and enjoy your photograph so much more!

Thanks again for sharing. This is important work and we are privileged to enjoy it with you!

Asher

Tim Ashley

I recently saw "The Hours", movie about, among others, Virginia Woolf and her end of life... First time i saw your picture, i just found it very good. With your explanations about VW, it became deeper.

Thank you Cedric!

I could have called it To the Lighthouse or The Hours but I sort of thought it benefited from not having my narrative imposed on it. It's more mysterious that way!

Best

Tim

Tim Ashley

Tim,

Thanks for sharing. Art primarily is an expression, (whether he/she knows it or not), of personal imagination and imperatives. You are fortunate to be in communication with your inner world and so have a headstart over much of the rest of us!

Our enjoyment is of less importance. We may just grasp the superficial enticements of esthetics, sentimentality and craftsmanship. However, with your generous disclosure, we can walk at least a mile behind you and enjoy your photograph so much more!

Thanks again for sharing. This is important work and we are privileged to enjoy it with you!

Asher

Asher, as always you are too nice (but I like it really!)

We must be walking in circles because as far as I can see, you're miles in front!

t

Chris Kresser

Tim,

I forgot to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of the file coming from that little camera. I saw your original post on the W300, and it sure looks like you're having fun with it!

Curious to know if you added the vignette (almost positive you did) or whether that's the way it came out of camera.

Tim Ashley

Tim,

I forgot to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of the file coming from that little camera. I saw your original post on the W300, and it sure looks like you're having fun with it!

Curious to know if you added the vignette (almost positive you did) or whether that's the way it came out of camera.

Hi Chris,

Vignette was courtesy of the cyanotype preset in Lightroom. The original file in now printed 20" square and looks really good but fine resolution is not the ambition of this image.

The original is not pretty... should I show it?

t

Tim Ashley

Why not? :)

I realize fine resolution wasn't the goal, but if you didn't tell me that image came from the W300 I would have been surprised.

Chris

The shame, the shame... the original: a straight from camera JPEG, followed by the 'final' version...

I stress that I normally do very little work in PP other than curves type stuff!

p498748693.jpg

p282564648-5.jpg

Chris Kresser

Tim,

That is a perfect example of the adage "the photographer makes the picture, not the camera".

Though I am impressed by the quality of the file produced by the W300, what I am far more impressed by is your vision. The original image is a fine picture, but your conversion is a memorable work of art.

Did you visualize the "unified" color scheme in advance, or did you conceive of that in post?

Simply wonderful.

Chris

Tim Ashley

Tim,

That is a perfect example of the adage "the photographer makes the picture, not the camera".

Though I am impressed by the quality of the file produced by the W300, what I am far more impressed by is your vision. The original image is a fine picture, but your conversion is a memorable work of art.

Did you visualize the "unified" color scheme in advance, or did you conceive of that in post?

Simply wonderful.

Chris

Thank you Chris!

I recently purchased a house that looks out on that scene and have been doing a series of work to hang in the hallway, which is largely in washed out, bleached colours so I very specifically had cyanotype treatment and square crop in mind when I shot. Actually the finished result looks much more like what I 'saw' than the out of camera JPEG does. Maybe that's the next development in camera technology? A brain implanted chip that tells the camera how you want the scene reproduced!

:)

Tim