• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Also From Frank Doorhof's Workshop

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
It is seldom I get to see another pro shoot so when Frank held his workshop a few weeks ago I was there. It was great fun and time well spent.

485854ed467b3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent Ian! Now wasn't that fun! I was pretty impressed with the whole shoot. Frank is a good teacher and has great ideas.

"18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey. 18% Grey, 18% Grey!" was the mantra to protect us from evil thoughts and keep light within range of the camera!

Asher

By which he means what?

Hi Doug,

I have not followed any of Frank's workshops, but I can assume that (given the use of stobe lighting) it refers to a convenient way of matching the scene dynamic range to the capabilities of the recording medium. By controlling the lighting contrast (which is one of the benefits of bringing one's own light to the scene), and placing the 18% reflection point at a given position of the (gamma adjusted) histogram, one doesn't need to worry about clipped highlights, and the shadows will mostly take care of themselves.

When I'm guessing wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, that's the essence Bart!

I cheat and still photograph in available light by changing position and using a scrim. Frank is not limited to such stratagems.

Asher

charlie chipman

"18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey. 18% Grey, 18% Grey!" was the mantra to protect us from evil thoughts and keep light within range of the camera!"

"By which he means what?"

That was an ongoing joke throughout the work shop also. when you have a pretty model in a bikini posing in sexy postitions in front of your camera just keep saying to yourself "18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey. 18% Grey, 18% Grey" and everything will be okay ;-)

That was an ongoing joke throughout the work shop also. when you have a pretty model in a bikini posing in sexy postitions in front of your camera just keep saying to yourself "18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey, 18% Grey. 18% Grey, 18% Grey" and everything will be okay ;-)

I like that better than my assumed explanation!

Bart

It's the new mantra indeed :D

It's protecting me for some time now lol.

Good shot Ian, only would have loved to see a bit more of her toes.
Did you use the clarity for sharpening ?
Somehow I miss some of the fine detail you get from the mamiya.

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Thanks

Thanks Frank!

The detail in the original file with the P45+ is overwhelming. You can easily correct the lighting on individual nose hairs if you wanted to, haha. But seriously you could. And you can pretty much read all the small lettering around the edge of the tires. It certainly does not translate well to a small jpg and I am just not as skilled in PhotoShop as you. And you do excellent work.

I did not use "Clarity" but used USM at the final step with the jpg. I did the original RAW processing in Capture One which really does make the images just "pop".

I am good with her toes although I would open up the exposure slightly on her shoe on the tire. I saw that after I posted it. But I see a few more details I would change too.

Critiques and hints from you are always welcome!

It's the new mantra indeed :D

It's protecting me for some time now lol.

Good shot Ian, only would have loved to see a bit more of her toes.
Did you use the clarity for sharpening ?
Somehow I miss some of the fine detail you get from the mamiya.

Rachel Foster

That is just breathtaking. There is genuine emotion and artistry in that shot.

ETA: I wonder if the shine is considered a problem? I personally think it enhances the image, but what I've picked up about portrait works suggests that breaks a "rule." Of course, judicious rule-breaking really can make an image if done right (and I think it was here).

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Rachel,

Thank You so very much!

As far as the shine goes, remember this was a workshop. Had it been an ad shoot or something else I would have sent her back to makeup. It was very hot and in direct sun that day so she was working up a good sweat and had already been up on the balcony for a while. And of course everyone ahead of me had shot quite a few frames each.

But with that said I like it with the shine, it is "real". And had it been a real wedding that shine would be there.

Also had it been an actual shoot, I would have made sure she looked at me directly. But as it was I think I only shot 6 frames. In the prior photo in this thread with the Ferrari I only shot two frames of that set.

Again it was a workshop and I really wanted to see how, what and why Frank was shooting. And secondarily I wanted to see what it was like to shoot the Phase One P45+ back I was using for the first time.

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
And from the workshop on Saturday...

This is my good friend and model, Cara Basso. As luck would have it, she was able to be one of the Saturday models for the workshop. She has worked with me for around 4 years. Cara has been in a number of magazine features, prints ads and covers. She also has professional dance and acting experience.

CF003167-v2-logo.jpg