• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Camera Dojo reviews the Colorright white balance disc

Doug Kerr

Camera Dojo ("Brought to you by a couple of middle-aged overweight guys with no martial arts experience") has published a review of the Colorright white balance disc by Kerry G:

http://cameradojo.com/2008/06/17/colorright-white-balance-disc-review

The article begins with a discussion of what white balance is. It includes this fascinating passage:

"A very common example of this is shooting a scene in the snow, this can really throw off the sensor and you can end up getting a blue color cast on your images".

Yes, I remember that old caution about yellow snow, but I hadn't remembered that is was in connection with its use as a target for white balance measurement.

Now, on to the Colorright disc.

It was good to see that the reviewer recommended as first choice to make the white balance measurement with the camera equipped with the Colorright disc at the subject location.

Now, the reviewer's assessment of the result:

"The results are absolutely spot-on. While the design is very similar to the Expodisc, the difference with the Colorright is that is doesn’t allow light from all directions to hit the sensor, instead a smaller area ensures that the light hitting the sensor is exactly what you are looking for."

It's hard to tell exactly what he means by that. The intimations are that:

a. The small active area of the Colorright disc is responsible for the disc having a narrow acceptance angle. [It isn't.]

b. "What you are looking for" in this measurement process is (only) the light that arrives at the subject from the general direction of where the camera will be for the shot. [What we want to measure is the chromaticity of the total illumination on the subject.]

[The comments in square brackets are the outlook of an old overweight guy with no martial arts experience.]

This was my first visit to the Camera Dojo. Likely the last.