• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Katia

Johan Combrink

I was fortunate enough to have Katia in the studio again today, and I had everything prepared......nice octobox setup with my visatec and just before I start "CRACK" there goes the light. The modeling lamp must have gotten too hot and and exploded, and I mean exploded, killing the darn flash tube as well......I was mad. Anyway I ended up using my beauty dish for the shoot and decided to go on a wim and just try some new idea's.....and so here are the results. C&C are as always....very welcome.

Creation_katia_web_01.jpg

Creation_J7D1984_web.jpg

Creation_photo010_web.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Johan,

I'll just chime in to fill the void until our real studio experts make some time to react ;-).
From a studio layman's point of view, these are all great pictures; kudos!
For me personally, the third one is the least of the three. While being technically perfect, it is just not my kind of composition. The second one, OTOH, is really, really good. Her eyes really pull me into the picture as a strong magnet.

Thanks for showing these and glad to hear that you can turn a disadvantage into an advantage like that.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Eyes

Well being that my friend who lived in Russia for a time calls me Katya...anyway...

The skin is beautiful. The color I think is lovely. What needs work is the posing related to her eyes.

The first one the far eye is missing it's mark - out of focus I think. And the third one has no interaction - with anything and no sparkle. That would have greatly improved the series.

Johan Combrink

Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment.

I personally feel this is some of my best work to date. I am generally a fan of large speculars in the eye's as it provides a much more glamourous look to me, but here I want a more "fashion" hair/stylish look, and therefore went the route i did with the lighting. I have been looking at various artists work, and studying the lighting to get an idea of how I could make it work for my peronal preference.

I take note of all the constructive crit and will work on a few things.....thanks.

regards

johan

Very nice shots, good seperation with the background, just on the edge, the way I like it.

Just watch out for the nose, it's a bit hot.

Just watch out for the nose, it's a bit hot.

I agree, but it seems hard to avoid with the direction of the main light pointing at the 'broad' side of the face. That also tends to 'flatten' the facial features since there is too little shadow to reveal depth or 3-dimensionality. It also over-emphasizes the brightness of her chest in the third image. IMHO a lot of improvement can be expected from moving the main light to the other side, but care needs to be taken to avoid losing the colors of her hair. Perhaps the combination of a more grazing light angle and a polarizing filter (used with restraint) could do the trick to keep saturation there.

Bart

Johan Combrink

Thank you for taking a look and commenting Frank and Bart

I do agree on the slightly hot nose area and should i have use short lighting it would have made a difference......

While I was shooting the broad lighting seemed to give me the best looking shot to my eye at the time, but I will relook, and try more short lighting soon, which I actually do prefer in all honesty.

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to get a 135mm F2 so will be making use of that for a while to enhance the DOF even more.....gonna take some pratice I know... :D :D