• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fox tonight -

Jaime Johnson

Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 500mm F4

061908-Fox-09.jpg

Jaime Johnson

No strobe - taken with the last minutes of sunlight - it is a young one. We sat on the den for a couple hours last night. Taken at approx 30 feet.

This is lovely. The soft light, the soft features, the soft colors, the soft background - it all works together here!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jaime,

You photograph is breathtaking. One cannot help admire this lone fox in the last light of the day!

Few other lenses have the power to render such presence. At the dawn of photography, the lenses were too sharp and clinical. Uniform sharpness is a fashion that has crept back into photography in the past 50 years. At the beginning of the 20th century, however, the best opticians and mathematicians made versions of lenses that degraded focus or added a layer of softness to sharp focus.

Here, with your long lens opened up, you are working with a more expressive system. The softness of the light and the depth of focus add a sense of such beauty and also vulnerability to this hunter. It really is wonderful that wild animals like this can still survive as we erode their habitat. I must commend you for your sense of purpose in waiting for this handsome creature to come within range.

Everyone of us is passionate about wildlife protection. So bringing this handsome fox here, standing alone and unafraid, reminds us of the fragility of everything we treasure.

This picture is very special for OPF. Everyone here is enriched by this contribution.

Asher

The ear? If it bothered me I'd clone repair that edge! :)