• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Modified Turner Reich for the 8X10

Jim Galli

Turner Reich lenses were made by Gundlach Camera Corporation from I believe the late 1890's through the late 1940's. They are not rare. And they are at the bottom of the performance pile of so called convertible lenses.

Gundlach, a true american co. didn't like to pay the license fees to Zeiss or Goerz for the best designs so they would take a design like the Zeiss Convertible Protar and add an element, re-inventing it. Voila, no fees. So the Turner Reich was a Protar copy that had 5 glasses, 1 group, all cemented with Canada balsam instead of 4 like the Bausch & Lomb Protar VII which did pay the license fees.

As found now 100 years hence plus or minus they almost always have crazing from the cement going bad between cell 3 and 4. A while ago I bought a full plate Seneca and it had a TR 10 1/2" lens that was just phenomenally bad. You couldn't make it sharp if you stopped down to f90. I considered tossing it in the trash. Then I noticed.....sometime in it's rediculously long life the cement had gone so bad that element 4 and 5 had departed the lens completely. So front group had all 5, and rear group had 3 elements.

Being naturally curious I took it in the house and made some photographs. Although not particularly sharp it had a quality of roundness that would be superb for portraits. Rather like a Heliar shot wide open. Well this story is getting long but in the intervening couple of years I have modified 3 other TR's with 3 elements in both groups on purpose to get the look you see here.

TRM_Bamboo_1s.jpg

bamboo #1

TRM_Bamboo_2s.jpg

bamboo #2

bamboo #1 was 7 seconds f6.8 and bamboo #2 was 14 minutes f45 1/2

Hard to show in a .jpg the subtle quality of roundness these lenses bring to the images.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

Could you explain more of the concept of optical "roundness"?

I'd love to overlay the f 6.8 background on the f45 image. The two might be interesting together, giving an extra glow perhaps to the b.g.

The first would be an interesting effect for portraits as you suggest. Have you tried that?

Asher

Asher

Jim Galli

Jim,

I'd love to overlay the f 6.8 background on the f45 image. The two might be interesting together, giving an extra glow perhaps to the b.g.

The first would be an interesting effect for portraits as you suggest. Have you tried that?

Asher

Asher

Roundness is just that, a concept. Hard to explain or define but I'll try. The image is still sharp as far as definition but somehow looks like an illustrator's drawing.

Here are a couple of 35mm captures from the sharpest points in the neg. Scanned at 600 and saved with no loss.

TRM_Bamboo_2_1.jpg

TRM_Bamboo_2_2.jpg

As you can see, there's nothing critically sharp in the neg anywhere. Yet if you stand and look at this picture on the wall your eyes will tell you it's sharp.

This is where the "brute force" concept kind of kicks in with 8X10. You've got such a massive capture medium that you can use it to "fool the eyes" so to speak. A viewer doesn't walk up and analyze a print. They don't even think about why they find it visually enjoyable.

Smoke and mirrors.

doug anderson

Jim,

Asher

Asher

I can hear that bamboo growing.

Serge Berrut

Jim,

You never cease to amaze me.
You did this pictures with a lens that is good for the bin!!!

Will you exchange your end-of-nineteen-century Turner-Reich with 2 brand new Schneider?

I guess not! They do no longer have this poesy.

Keep posting your pics.

Serge

Jim Galli

Jim,

You never cease to amaze me.
You did this pictures with a lens that is good for the bin!!!

Will you exchange your end-of-nineteen-century Turner-Reich with 2 brand new Schneider?

I guess not! They do no longer have this poesy.

Keep posting your pics.

Serge

Thanks Serge.