• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old woman comtemplating life (?)

Charles Lupica

DSC_8305.jpg

Today I met my wife for a late afternoon coffee on the main town plaza. After she left, I stayed to take some photos. When I saw this one I thought it was very powerful. What do you think?

Rachel Foster

I want to see more of her face, or maybe less of her face. The hand is compelling and demands attention. It makes me want to know more about her. But I can't---the face is too shadowed to read. So, my eyes jump back to the hand, back to her face, back...leaving me feeling frustrated. If her face can't be made more visible (lighter?) I'd consider cropping so that there is nothing competing with that wonderful, beautiful hand.

fahim mohammed

Charles, did you spend some time talking with her?. What memories she must have and what
stories and experiences she could narrate!

Well done.

Charles Lupica

I want to see more of her face, or maybe less of her face. The hand is compelling and demands attention. It makes me want to know more about her. But I can't---the face is too shadowed to read. So, my eyes jump back to the hand, back to her face, back...leaving me feeling frustrated. If her face can't be made more visible (lighter?) I'd consider cropping so that there is nothing competing with that wonderful, beautiful hand.

Rachel, I understand and I feel the same. But I also acknowledge that that frustrtation, that wanting to know more, that sense that if only I could see her face is what makes it a powerful picture. It makes you participate in a way you would not otherwise. I could crop the face or maybe do a selective sharpen, certainly I could lighten the face (2 mins in CS3), but I find myself not wanting to disturb what disturbs me. Does this make sense?

Rachel Foster

Charles, I wondered exactly the same thing! I'm pleased you said that..it means I'm getting a little closer to understanding "hooks" in images. But, at the same time, it leaves me feeling incomplete.

Charles Lupica

Rachel, through a little CS3 magic here is what the image might look like if the face were in sharper focus with more light on it. (The dof transition to the far hand, or lack thereof, seems a little odd. But this is just a waht if)

OPF_8305copy.jpg

Charles,
Maybe it is your title that causes us to follow through with how she is "contemplating life". Normally, when one is contemplating something there is a facial expression that denotes the mood. In your shot, the arm, hand (arthritic thumb) and bracelet are the focal points. So with that said, maybe you could re-title the shot something like - "Taking a break from the battle" or come up with something that addresses how she has color coordinated everything about her - Hair, Sweater, Finger nail polish etc.
I am not sure what you did with the sunglasses in the second shot, but it now looks like she has a second pair under the first.
The shot by itself is very nice and creates a level of curiosity which is a good thing, but the curiosity from your title cannot be answered. ---- All just my opinion, so please accept as such.

Marshall

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I want to know

I want to know more. Is she sad at the end of the road of life and her head is down or is she mourning something? Could you see her just reading the menu in a cafe - why else would she need glasses? These don't show a reason for her position. The only story I see are the wrinkles, that time has passed and she is bright with her red sweater. I bet the image would have a whole new flavor in a B&W rendition.

Charles,

This is a great try at making a candid unplanned portait. And I see what you are trying to do. The problem I have with it is the red sweater. I know that you take what you get, but there is a clash between the over bright sweater and the what should be the center of attention - i.e the face.

-Nat

Charles Lupica

Charles,
I am not sure what you did with the sunglasses in the second shot, but it now looks like she has a second pair under the first...
Marshall
It's mostly the angel of view of the second photo which was superimposed on the first. You are actually looking at the the right lens behind the left lens. In addition, the lenses are so thick and convex that they nearly reach back into here eye socket.

Here's another view. Not as thought provoking, but it still makes you reflect on what she might be thinking.

DSC_8335-Editcopy.jpg

doug anderson

I like the way the hand seems to stand for the whole person. However, I would have liked a little more depth of field to get the face as well. The shadow would have adequately separated them.