• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who goes there?

Jon Mark

Buster is our 5 year old English Lab. Gentle as can be, but people still move to the other side of the street when we walk together at night.

Buster%202008.jpg

Something rustling in the bushes behind me caught his attention while this picture was taken.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Beautiful Dog

Buster is beautiful. Love the pose and the stance. He does look formidable but of course when you know these gentle dogs they are quite sweet. Black dogs are hard to photograph well without some kind of light illimination their faces. This is nice - animals are hard to capture. I'd have liked his eyes lit up, but, this works well too.

Jon Mark

Hi Kathy,

I've have black labs all my life and have been photographing them for at least 15 years. Light just gets sucked into the coat. Various methods of lighting have been tried -- some successful, others not. My conclusion is that late afternoon light works best and green backgrounds are the most pleasing contrast.

Another change besides the eyes would be to take the picture again without the leash -- its a bit distracting...

Thank you much for the comments.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Leash!

If they have any prey in the vicinity, I think that the leash is too important an accessory for his safety (and the object of his attention!) I have a Red Brindle Cairn with a black outer coat and used to have a Black Lhasa Apso. Those faces were a challenge too.