• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who Likes William Eggleston?

Who Likes William Eggleston?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Who is William Eggleston?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doug anderson

Folks: Of late I have been drawn to William Eggleston, Saul Leiter, and most recently, Jonas Bendikson. Their effect is not immediately dramatic, but a fine after taste that lingers after I've viewed their photos, and I want to go back. I have heard Eggleston, in particular, criticized as "banal," but I don't think so. They grow on you. They are poetry in a soft voice.

I'm interested in how others see them, how they may teach us about how the ordinary is not ordinary if well seen.

Cheers,

Doug

Last edited:

doug anderson

An example of William Eggleston's Work

torchcafe.jpg

doug anderson

Example of Jonas Bendiksen's Work

13.jpg

People investigating a fallen Soviet Satellite. I love the snow fall in this picture.

Last edited:
I love Saul Leiter and William Eggleston, they really inspirate me.
They have poetical approach of everyday life and can see details in ordinary scenes which usually keep invisible.
Very subtile works.

I think his colorbalance is off... :p

Bart

The color balance is fine. The scene looks natural in a dusk like way. But the light is overexposed. He should have shot raw, exposed to the right, and then brought the shadows up. ;o)

Personally, while I find the compositions of many photographers of the type to be well made, then tend to be somewhat Laissez-faire attitude towards a refined and elegant look. Instead, while an engineering analysis of their work yields a non-rules based compositional scheme underlying their work which is consistently apparent in their "styles"

Their compositional styles have a direct and tight correlation to the finer works coming out of Hollywood and its ilk. The difference is the refinement of the vision which often (perhaps intentionally) to unflattering if not quite unkind renditions of scenes. They choose to show the tawdry character of life rather than expounding the iconic beauty that Hollywood achieves at times (consider a film like Gladiator).

But in the end, a style is simply the elements of the craft which a photographer has mastered and uses by intuition. And I like their styles, but their choice of subject matter is often tawdry or just plain dull. They choose to emphasize things that make life feel dirty and unclean.

That said, their styles encompass an understanding of composition that is clean and simple and works with the eye (whether by engineering or just being in touch with the feelings their eyes generate). But they lack the refinement in their choice of subjects and in their technical abilities. Some of this technical lack may stem from the period and some from finances, but it is the lack of technical skill in their photos (crooked, blurry, poorly exposed) mixed with their compositional sensibility that uses no rules that marks their work.

In short, Eggleston is good for a glance, even a look, but would bore me to tears on a wall. I want to see something beautiful on the wall, not something that makes the day darker.

one person's taste, <smile>

Sean

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Good general question, Doug.

I own books of work by Eggleston and Leiter. I am also lucky to have access to many of their prints.

I don't know if "like" is quite an accurate description for my feelings about their work. In this general art photography genre I am most interested in images that feature irony, contradictions, visual wit, or strong contrasts especially in a humorous or satirical manner. Neither of these guys' works really offers much in these veins, although both do feature some. Both have some really wonderful images that I very much enjoy seeing. Eggleston, being from the (American) south, has created some very vivid images of a colonial section of the country in pseudo-transition during the 1950's/1960's. Saul Leiter's color photography was, in its day, somewhat groundbreaking.

But in the final analysis I don't see much evidence of the talent or skill that's often claimed by academics, collectors, curators, and gallery owners when referring to these guys. In my opinion the work just isn't visually or intellectually rich enough to merit the acclaim it's received (or the prices it garners).

Last edited: