• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reality Check--Is There Improvement?

Rachel Foster

Am I getting better? Brutal honesty, no punches pulled (but if I did something right, that helps to know too).

ISO 100, 28 mm focal length, 1/40, f/9.0.

wfgoodwmsmall.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rachel,

Of course your photography is getting better but I can say this only compared to your initial work. I haven't got anything to compare this particular picture with to say if it is better or not.
I took the liberty of playing with the white balance, tonalities and sharpening a bit. I also cropped out a small portion bottom right.

What is left is a nice snapshot but your subject does not jump out of it as it should. Framing using branches is a good idea, but this main branch in the front is obstructing the waterfall.
You should have tried another angle to get a better shot with less obstruction. Preferably, one showing the top of the waterfall.

wfgoodwmsmall.jpg
wfgoodwmsmall02.jpg

HTH,

Rachel Foster

This shot does not have the branch (which I liked, but will look at more critically).
wf2smed.jpg
wfgoodwmsmall.jpg

I preferred the larger viewpoint of the first. I also don't like the water as well.

I was limited in perspectives I could take as I was reluctant to push boundaries (especially in a foreign country!),

janet Smith

pro member
Am I getting better?

A resounding yes, definitely, I can see a much more thoughtful approach in your work....

Out of the two you've just posted I prefer the one on the LHS, the rocks in the lower RH corner look almost like the profile of a mans head, neck and chest, can you see it?

However I agree with Cem about the branches, they are obscuring the waterfall somewhat, but the improvement in your work is very obvious to me, well done, keep on trying, your hard work shows....

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Janet! I'm very serious about learning how to do this so honest encouragement is terribly helpful.

The sun is better on the RHS one though, and that's what is hanging me up. Nice point about the rocks.