• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Nikon 85mm F1.8D

doug anderson

2697312612_8eaf2bbf81_b.jpg

Traded a couple of old lenses I never use for a new Nikon 85mm F1.8D and am really happy with it. It's about 1/3 the price of the F1.4 and in my opinion, just as good.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug, try repeating the portrait without the flash and window light!

These 1.8 lenses, both from Nikon and Canon are superb. The MFRS sell cameras and lenses to fit price points and then dumb down the casing or whatever to appear that it's a lesser product. The same with the step-down from the f1.8 to the f 1.4 versions of the 50mm lenses. In truth, one is hard pressed to tell the difference unless one is pixel peeping at 100%.

We need the fastest lenses less and less except for the wide open aperture effect. To me, f2.8 is stopped down a lot! LOL!

My 50 1.8 is just for emergency or when I need a less bulky lens in a risky district. However, push comes to shove, I could do 99% of my work with just that one lens.

Asher

doug anderson

These 1.8 lenses, both from Nikon and Canon are superb. The MFRS sell cameras and lenses to fit price points and then dumb down the casing or whatever to appear that it's a lesser product. The same with the step-down from the f1.8 to the f 1.4 versions of the 50mm lenses. In truth, one is hard pressed to tell the difference unless one is pixel peeping at 100%.

We need the fastest lenses less and less except for the wide open aperture effect. To me, f2.8 is stopped down a lot! LOL!

My 50 1.8 is just for emergency or when I need a less bulky lens in a risky district. However, push comes to shove, I could do 99% of my work with just that one lens.

Asher

Asher, I love the phrase "pixel peeping." Pixel Peepers are a good description of the OCD's among us.

doug anderson

Asher

Asher: I took it just to test the lens. I have wonderful shots from window light; it's just getting Julie to repeat the sweetness of spirit of the original spontaneous shot that's not so easy.

fahim mohammed

Doug, congratulations on your new lens.

I am surprised, Julie let you live. you took a beautiful lady, subjected her to a direct light
blast and now say you shall wait for her 'sweetness of spirit "!.

Apologize to her and the least you can do is take her out for a lovely dinner! there you use
your 85/1.8 to without the flash to let her spirit reveal its sweetness.

Regards.

doug anderson

Doug, congratulations on your new lens.

I am surprised, Julie let you live. you took a beautiful lady, subjected her to a direct light
blast and now say you shall wait for her 'sweetness of spirit "!.

Apologize to her and the least you can do is take her out for a lovely dinner! there you use
your 85/1.8 to without the flash to let her spirit reveal its sweetness.

Regards.

Fahim: I will do just that. I was just testing the lens.

D