• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Horrors of War! Iconic and mundane, gruseome and thought provoking.

doug anderson

1.jpg

No words necessary. I served as an infantry medic in this war, and have a lot of trouble with war being represented by a display of color.

Charlotte Thompson

Doug

war can represent many things to many people-these shots for sure
but was not my intention with my art
I think your response is very inappropriate in my thread- please can some one take these photos out of my thread!

Charlotte

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Welcome Home

Hey Doug.,

On the net we are the people behind our photographs and that is what we know until we unveil pieces of ourselves.

So first, I will say welcome home. Thank you for what you did. Our courntry did not know what to do with a war fought with all the exposure to the media. We have learned some since then.

Second, I will tell you I ghost wrote for the Khe Sahn Vet newsletter under my former husband's name since he was a Navy Corpsman serving at Khe Sahn with the 3rd Division - 9th Marines at Con Thien, Hue and Khe Sahn and the only suvivor in his group. He had a bunch of snapshots buried away that he could not look at. The demons of that war still live within him.

Thank you for sharing these images and part of your soul with us.

doug anderson

Doug

war can represent many things to many people-these shots for sure
but was not my intention with my art
I think your response is very inappropriate in my thread- please can some one take these photos out of my thread!

Charlotte

I think these photos are very appropriate to any discussion of images that purport to represent war. This country, as we speak, is in a state of denial about what war is, and that denial has allowed them to be hoodwinked into another dirty war. How we represent this subject is important. The images I posted were a form of criticism of any photography that attempts to prettify something that is ugly and obscene by definition. We need to be in touch with what we vote for. My contention is that if war were seen for what it is, fewer people would be so enthusiastic to get into it. The Europeans tend to be much more mature about this than we are, and that is because they have experienced war on their own turf, and we have not since 1865.

PS: no one is denying your right to see war in your own way, just don't expect all favorable responses. This is the consequence of putting something out there to be seen.

Last edited:

doug anderson

Hey Doug.,

On the net we are the people behind our photographs and that is what we know until we unveil pieces of ourselves.

So first, I will say welcome home. Thank you for what you did. Our courntry did not know what to do with a war fought with all the exposure to the media. We have learned some since then.

Second, I will tell you I ghost wrote for the Khe Sahn Vet newsletter under my former husband's name since he was a Navy Corpsman serving at Khe Sahn with the 3rd Division - 9th Marines at Con Thien, Hue and Khe Sahn and the only suvivor in his group. He had a bunch of snapshots buried away that he could not look at. The demons of that war still live within him.

Kathy, that is amazing. I was a navy corpsman with the First Marine Division, also stationed in I-Corps (but not at Khe Sahn). I usually say "medic" because some people don't know what a corpsman is. I have written a memoir about it that is coming out from W.W. Norton next year. I have a friend who was at Con Thien (nasty place) and is still a mess because of it.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Damages of War

The wreckage of war lasts far into the lifetime of many of those who participate. I wrote about it's effects in a few columns about Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome while my former husband was in graduate school to become a Psychotherapist. He is in practice today working with Vets, the chemically dependent and teenagers in crisis.

Small world! I would love to have a copy of your book when it comes out. Congratulations of being published.

doug anderson

The wreckage of war lasts far into the lifetime of many of those who participate. I wrote about it's effects in a few columns about Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome while my former husband was in graduate school to become a Psychotherapist. He is in practice today working with Vets, the chemically dependent and teenagers in crisis.

Small world! I would love to have a copy of your book when it comes out. Congratulations of being published.

It will probably come out in the July run, or maybe even September copy edits, legal particulars have slowed down production).

I think it's great your husband is doing what he's doing, and that you contributed toward the unvarnished truth yourself. Does your husband know about the work of Johnathan Shay? He wrote Achilles in Vietnam and specializes in P.T.S.D.

Gary Ayala

Hey Doug.,

Firstly, I echo Kathy response ... Welcome Home!

Secondly, as a correspondent, I hung out with the Marines at Khe Sahn and Hue. Extreme anxiety is tough individually and tough collectively.

Gary

doug anderson

Firstly, I echo Kathy response ... Welcome Home!

Secondly, as a correspondent, I hung out with the Marines at Khe Sahn and Hue. Extreme anxiety is tough individually and tough collectively.

Gary

Hey, Gary. Well, you paid some dues getting those shots. Glad you made it back too.

D

doug anderson

Thanks Doug ... My brother was in the Army's 25th Division at Cu Chi down in the south.

Gary

Gary: I know some former Viet Cong who were in the tunnels under Cu Chi. In fact, in 2000, I went back to Vietnam and traveled around the country with some of my former enemies. It was an incredible experience.

D

Gary Ayala

Asher: Of course, you know, I did not take these pictures. They have long been in the public domain. I did not have time for photography during my time in Vietnam.

It is one of my pet peeves that people attempt to romanticize or prettify war.

D

Asher-

The top photo is from Nick Ut. He worked for AP. He was using Nikon equipment (F's). Nick lives in LA.

Gary

Gary Ayala

You were probably there with my ex then...3/9...

If he was there during the seige, (I use the term loosely because as long as the Marines had a battalion outside the perimeter they felt they were never "under seige"), then yeah ... I probably ran into him at Charlie Med. I also have a book, (unpublished), some notes bring up a Dr. Feldman and a Corpsman Roberts.

At Hue I vividedly remember a quote from a Marine Major (doctor), we poked our heads out a doorway and were looking out over the destruction and an ongoing firefight and he said "... if it's not the incoming ... then it's the outgoing, the only difference is who gets greased and that's no f****** difference at all ..."

Gary

Gary Ayala

Gary: I know some former Viet Cong who were in the tunnels under Cu Chi. In fact, in 2000, I went back to Vietnam and traveled around the country with some of my former enemies. It was an incredible experience.

D

I thought about going back a few years ago with my business partner who was a USA Vietnam Vet. He bailed out because of emotional reasons ... and I glad he did because then I didn't have to go.

The reason I brought up Cu Chi was due to you stating you were a medic ... so I figured Army. In any case I'm buying when/if we meet ... I always buy for corpsmen.

Gary

doug anderson

I thought about going back a few years ago with my business partner who was a USA Vietnam Vet. He bailed out because of emotional reasons ... and I glad he did because then I didn't have to go.

The reason I brought up Cu Chi was due to you stating you were a medic ... so I figured Army. In any case I'm buying when/if we meet ... I always buy for corpsmen.

Gary

Thanks, Gary, I'll take you up on it. I would recommend going back: it's an astonishing experience. It will let some demons out.

Joe Thibodeau

Testament of a living hell. Millions died behind these walls at Auschwitz and the much larger sister death factory Birkenau. 35mm, 3200 ISO. Designed to be gritty and disturbing I felt it was necessary to capture the coldness of the death camps.

2725800845_6e917c4d0a.jpg

In the most amazing gesture of grace I was pleasantly surprised to experience the tremendous outpouring of respect and love by those who toured this facility the day I was there. It's as if a great healing has taken place and the tortured found peace in spiritual freedom. Not for the weak these sites were left as a reminder of the atrocities of war.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Ravages of war

Doug and Gary, I buy too....

Joe,

Thank you for the reminder of the horror of the 2nd World War. This can never happen again. We must repeat these stories over and over again and we must visit these sites so that those who were murdered will be remembered.

Joe Thibodeau

Unfortunately it is not you or I that need to be reminded ... the ones who decide for us ... now there's an audience who need to be reminded.

Your signature is hilarious. I got a big belly laugh out of it.