• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Horse Whisperer

Matt Halstead

Hi Guys,

Took this shot on a recent trip to Snowdonia, North Wales. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2715002470_4dc3924a17_b.jpg

And here is me being nibbled on!

2758774651_05fc16d97b.jpg

Thanks guys!

Read about this shot and others at my Photoblog:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Matt

I love this sort of day when a patch of sun breaks through the heavy cloud, the horses head turned away from you but he's keeping his beady eye on you for a little treat no doubt, looks like a lucky moment on a rainy day, beautiful, I love it...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Matt,

This is a special treat. The picture of the white horse under the dark billowing clouds is immediately attention getting and impressive. The perspective of being close to the horse exaggerates the powerful neck. The picture is also sensuous, even erotic. If it was looking at us, I wonder how my impression might change.

How did you process the image? It has a sense of HDR working in it.

Whenever the lines, form and modeling of a photograph are so important in its appreciation, it's often worthwhile to also look at the picture devoid of color signals. Such color-driven esthetics can undermine the strongest basic features. This might be such an instance. I happen to enjoy the picture in B&W even more than the original. Still that's also taste.

Asher

Matt Halstead

Thanbks for all the commenst folks, much appreciated!

@Dan, all my exif data can be seen on the link courtesy of Don...

@asher, I really appreciate your wonderful comments on my photo, greatly appreciated! I haven't yet converted the shot to black and white, but i can envisage it looking quite good! With regards my digital workflow, i can confirm that no HDR was used!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Perhaps it's because I've spent the last 30+ years in the American southwest, but normally I cringe whenever I see a photo or painting with a horse in it. This is a magnificent exception to my rule. Beautiful shot.

I'll be in Wales in a couple months hoping I get some great shooting conditions like these.

Beautiful shot!

Ivan Garcia

This is a wonderful shot, with incredible light conditions which you have been fortunate enough to capture.
Still, the dynamic range of the image is (IMHO) well beyond current technology, and I can't help to think that some serious image blending techniques were used to accomplish this vision.
I don't own a D300 so I could be very wrong indeed.
All things considered, I'll have no trouble having this image as my desktop background. :)

Matt Halstead

@ Howard I'm glad you like the shot, and I hope you really have a great time in Wales. with regards to shooting conditions, if stormy weather is what you're after then I'm sure you won't have any problems in Wales...it's got a reputation for being a tad damp!

@Ivan as stated earlier, this shot isn't a HDR in the traditional sense, ie tonemapping. However, Photoshop does play an important role in my digital workflow! Also, I'm very flattered that you are using the shot for your wallpaper!!

Kind regards, Matt

Matt Halstead

Hi Doug,

I'm glad you like the shot. Basic edits were carried out in Lightroom, and then the shot was more extensively edited in Photoshop.

Doug Lloyd

My first thoughts were that the image was seriously overworked. As I looked at it for quite sometime the overall feel of this shot overwhelmed my first impression. I think its magic.
D