• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

At last at large

CF010377barreto.jpg

Asher, finaly, after 2 years not taking the camera out of the studio (or gallery) it was getting the rarified air at 13,000 feets in the largest high plane o the Americas here in Bolivia. The image got all chued up by conversion to jpg but zooming in this landscape is a joy.

This are two images --I could do better sticthing latter when my MacPro arrives-- with the Mamiya 150mm 3.5 that seams to be a very useful lens here as opposed to how it was in New York when I used it about 3 times..

This country is a silver mine for photography the lake Titikaka is fascinating, and is so closed to where I am in La Paz...

In one day outing with wife and kid I managed to take a few good images --that I will post here or in some blog...--

anyway, happy, happy....

Nicolas,

I am not settle yet, my MacPro is coming via container and don't even have normal internet service -- I am using dial up, can you believe? -- but soon I will be able to post more images...

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Dial-up yes I believe!
When I visited 2 weeks ago Georg Baumann, I've seen (recall…) what a dial up is!
He's hoping to have dsl next year!
Unbeleivable. We're not equal… But this I knew already!

Nicolas, the good thing is that there are places where you can have a cafe and sit by a free WiFi stream. Do you know that the iPhone will be sold in all Latin America --expept Bolivia !-- on the other side I have the only digital back in the country -almost 2 million square kilometer country that is--.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nicolas, the good thing is that there are places where you can have a cafe and sit by a free WiFi stream. Do you know that the iPhone will be sold in all Latin America --expept Bolivia !-- on the other side I have the only digital back in the country -almost 2 million square kilometer country that is--.

LoL! Georg place is soooooooooooo remote in Ireland, that you need to drive about 1/2 hour to find a café/bistro/Pub and not all would have a wifi connection I guess!
But you can hear and see sheeps, cows and seals… almost from his house…

I'm happy with my iPhone, but in fact, who really needs one?

I'm happy with my iPhone, but in fact, who really needs one?

LOL, reminds me of when I upgraded from my ancient Nokia to one of their N series almost 2 years ago. The sales person looked at my mobile, then at me, and said: "Hey, you have one with an antenna!" ;-)

To make sure, I have nothing against gadgets, on the contrary, but they do have to provide some added value (and a decent battery life).

Bart

Last edited:
I have a Treo that has a lot of value added since my memory was bad from birth and I need to input everything, then is one of the few that can easily back up to MACOS --you plug in and push a physical button and that's it--, so I love my Treo...

Here the Treo doesn't work with the local service provider, so there is a large industry of "celular un-blockers" that put a chip inside the phone to make it work. A new Treo here is $500 --and it seams that the entire PALM brand is not in favor at all here--

I guess I have to change my mind set from New York to Bolivia, (probably the one of the fastest paced cities to the slowest paced one in the world --except where Georg is at.. LOL--) On the other side, there is a lot of things that need to be wrote down on the phone and hate to have a Palm AND a phone....

Battery life is one of the grate improvements in the entire communications rev.

ah, one more thing. Don't everybody hate a cheap cellular phone where things are organized in a st_pid way? My wife was fuming for two weeks when they took her Blackberry and gave her a Microsoft OS "smart" phone.

That was KrackBerry withdrawal syndrome for her ...

This one is a photo I took with manual exposure and about 2 f/stops under --by human error-- I saved it but don't know if it works... I am getting used to shooting the Mamiya this way...
CF010323barreto.jpg

"Hi Leonardo
You definitively have change of world…

Neat!"

... or planet ... In NY I lived in a space the size of the dining table of the house we will rent here, I had to stand in the rain waiting for a Taxi --non existent on, for example, Friday PM, with a MF system and lights--, not to mention the humid hot summer and ice cold winter (loved spring and fall).

But this is probably one of the most out of the way capitals in the world, no direct flights to anywhere and the worst of it ... no iPhone ... (just kidding).

On the photography side, I had the chance to take the digital back for one day in the country side and now I'm looking at the images and it is a fine machine. The files are very workable, not just the resolution in good, but it gives you the feeling of film medium format -in my humble opinion-.

Also the AFD is a very good camera to work with in the field, it is simple but has all the necessary features to work with "the fog of shooting", battery life is reasonable and reviewing images is straight forward.

more to come...