• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sand bags

Nill Toulme

Here's a low level question... any recommendations/tips on practical but cheap sandbags/weights? Somebody mentioned exercise ankle weights, which seems like a reasonably good idea.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Any reason why not to buy some cheap canvas bags and some sand from your local hardware store? I almost did it then couldn't be bothered with lugging them around!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Water bottles

I used 1 gallon water bottles with the handles on and bungee cords. Work great. You can dump the water out when finished if you need to carry them out. Can also fill with sand. I use kitty litter in the studio set that I have - cheap and not as messy as sand.

Here's a low level question... any recommendations/tips on practical but cheap sandbags/weights? Somebody mentioned exercise ankle weights, which seems like a reasonably good idea.

Hi Nill,

Sorry to answer a question with a question (however obvious the original question may seem); why the need for weights? Maybe there are other means of achieving your goal (e.g. vibration dampening)?

Bart

Years ago, we filled 2-ft long sections of inner tube w/ sand and tied off the ends (easier to do one end at a time). They made cheap, indestructible sand bags. Don't know if you can still get inner tubes...

I bought two 15-pound bags at a "grip ware" supply in San Francisco. They look very professional, and are a nice red color.

charlie chipman

Hi Nill,

Sorry to answer a question with a question (however obvious the original question may seem); why the need for weights? Maybe there are other means of achieving your goal (e.g. vibration dampening)?

Bart

As soon as a light stand gets setup outside and you see your expensive head and modifier swaying in the wind you realize a couple $20 sand bags or $2 home made weights to make sure it does not all come tumbling down is a great investment.