• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ceuta from Tarifa

Ivan Garcia

Hi all.
I am back from my yearly trip to the south of Spain.
This year trip is has been a bit of a hit and miss, I had some wonderful images prior to this day, including an update on my ongoing Bullfight series, and some stunning Kite surfing shots I took with my 1DMKIII...Unfortunately (and annoyingly) I allowed my young son (12) to play with my camera.. the end result? a formatted 16 GB card with 800+ images on it, some of which, would have proved (Mr Galbraith) that not all MKIII's have an AF issue. The later I can prove on my next trip to my favourite shooting grounds (the Andover Hawk conservancy trust). The former are sadly irreplaceable.

Fortunately I didn't let my son play with my 1DsMkIII, and so , I can present you all with a retake on my Ceuta shot.

First my 2006 effort
IMG_4188.jpg

Canon EOS 5D EF 100-400mmL @100mm - f/10 - 1/125ec - ISO 100 EC = -0.7

And this year shot
DS3_1618_960_web.jpg

Canon EOS 1Ds MKIII EF 70-200mm 2.8L @ 70mm f/9 - 1/500ec - ISO 200 EC = 0

I also took a 30 shots panorama of the area, the resulting image is some 6GB. Sadly, this huge file does not downsize very well, so... no web version (yet).

Cem_Usakligil

...Unfortunately (and annoyingly) I allowed my young son (12) to play with my camera.. the end result? a formatted 16 GB card with 800+ images on it, ...
Hi Ivan,

Sorry to bring this up but you must surely know that a simple formatting of the card does not remove the actual files on the card? You can restore everything on it using special recovery software unless you've reused the card again. Still, some of the images will be there unless the card has been rewritten to the full capacity.

Cheers,

Ivan Garcia

Hi Cem.
Thank you.. this was brought to my attention a couple of days ago.
Unfortunately, too late... the card was used to cover a friend's wedding to near full capacity (the IDsMKIII eats memory cards like a child eats candy). The few files I was able to recover were images taken by my son.
Still, it is good to know that files can be recovered (for future eventualities). Also, I am thinking of investing on a portable high capacity media storage device, to avoid similar situations.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ivan,

Sorry about the mishap! We need to also use a digital wallet!

As a matter of interest, which recovery software did you use and were you able to recover RAW files?

Asher

TJ Avery

I like the distinct horizontal bands, alternating between blue and the Earth. I like how the shape of the horizon is somewhat repeated in the foreground. It's a stunning view.

IMO, the top of the frame doesn't have enough interest. If there were some clouds high up in the sky, I think that would make the composition more balanced. Regardless, it's a beautiful view!