• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Community Theater: Portrait of Actor

Rachel Foster

This may well be in the wrong forum, but I feel confident enough about this one I don't think it belongs in entry. I'm rather liking this, but could use some ideas on how to approach the edit. Unedited, shot on stage with stage lighting, here it is.
ISO 800, shutter speed 100, f/4.0, 105 mm, no flash

IMG_9247-1.jpg

Hitting the contrast is up there on my list of consideration, but I've not really gone further than that.

The play is Brighton Beach Memoirs.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rachel,

She's almost a silhouette and if so would have made it here! This picture, however is lit with just a rim of light.

It's attractive. I'm intrigued with the image as is but I'd love to see more of here face, at least one eye! I'd want more. If her fans recognize her like that, then this works. Otherwise, for me at least, I would like to have seen it but am not compelled to keep doing so. Still, I like the idea.

Now I could ask, "What's the purpose?": if it's for fun you nailed it! If it's for her promotion, I don't think it has enough of her in any character, to be worthwhile, unless of course this lighting was archetypical of the play, like the mask in "Phantom of the Opera". OTOH, as art, it requires no purpose other than to arouse the passions. So for that alone I'll offer the grading back to you.

So did you give it to her and was there more?

Asher

Rachel Foster

Thanks for the input, Asher. I'll be able to respond more fully later.

This was the result of a shoot I did during dress rehearsal. Her promotional shots were done in the studio and lighted traditionally. This is something that I saw during rehearsal that captured my fancy. It's only purpose is "art."

I had it printed but darkened it. It's not even a silhouette in the print, more just an outline. I'm liking that a lot.

More about it later.