• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The pellicle mirror

Doug Kerr

Often in connection with discussions of alternative camera configurations, we hear mention of the pellicle mirror, sadly often under an erroneous conception of what that means.

Pellicle means, essentially, "film" (from the Latin for "skin"). A pellicle mirror has a reflective substance deposited on a thin transparent film, in contrast to the more substantial glass or plastic substrate we more often see in mirrors.

A well-known use of a pellicle mirror in cameras is in the Canon Pellix SLR (introduced in 1965), which took its name from the unique type of reflex mirror it used. The significant design factor, though, is that the reflex mirror doesn't move. The image is viewed by reflection from the mirror (as in conventional SLR cameras), but the image is taken through the mirror (much as the autofocus sensors observe the image in Canon EOS cameras). I'll tell you why a pellicle mirror was used in a moment.

In any case, because of this context, many people assume that "pellicle" refers to a reflex mirror that doesn't move. But it only means that it is on a film substrate.

Why a pellicle mirror on a "fixed-mirror" SLR? If we have a conventional glass mirror, as the rays that will form the image pass through the oblique "glass plate", they are displaced slightly to the side (down, in the arrangement we would usually have in an SLR). The amount of displacement depends on the thickness of the glass, the angle (45°, no doubt), and the index of refraction.

But the index varies with wavelength, and thus image components of different wavelength are displaced by different amounts, leading to lateral chromatic aberration.

By making the thickness of the mirror very small, the magnitude of this is reduced to an inconsequential amount.

A pellicle mirror can be attractive in a more conventional SLR as well. Typically, a pellicle mirror will be much lighter than a conventional mirror. Thus it is easier to move it quickly in SLR operation.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Next week: "The greater trochanter and its management when replacing the coxal articulation."

Oh, don't remind me of the Canon Pellix. I used one for theater photography in '70-'71 and hated every minute of it. It was equipped with a 50mm f/1.2 lens, and even that didn't make the camera usable in low-light situations. But the non-moving mirror made it quiet, which was my reason for using it.

Since the semi-silvered mirror reflected only part of the light to the viewfinder, it was impossible to see to focus in low-light situations.

Semi-silvered non-moving mirrors are always a compromise in SLRs. If you make the viewfinder bright enough to be useful, you take too much light from the film, and vice-versa.

The Bolex H-16 Rex used a semi-silvered mirror in the viewfinder path, but an alternative viewfinder was provided for critical focusing. In normal use, the viewfinder was adequate for framing and to follow action, but wasn't recommended for critical focus.

Sorry to hijack your academic discussion with experiential anecdotage

Jack_Flesher

I still own and use a Canon EOS 1N RS film body. The "RS" has a pellicle mirror, or more accurately a switchable pellicle mirror. In single or low frame rate mode the mirror moves up and down normally. However switch into high speed mode and the pellicle stays down in "shoot through" mode, allowing you to burn through film at over 10 frames per second...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jack,

I still own and use a Canon EOS 1N RS film body. The "RS" has a pellicle mirror, or more accurately a switchable pellicle mirror. In single or low frame rate mode the mirror moves up and down normally. However switch into high speed mode and the pellicle stays down in "shoot through" mode, allowing you to burn through film at over 10 frames per second...

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with that machine (although I think somebody did mention it to me once).

Thanks for the info.

Best regards,

Doug

Well I actually read and I believe understood most of this intereting post. Thank you for expanding my mind just a tad. Looking at the title of next week's installment, I cannot wait!
James Newman

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

Well I actually read and I believe understood most of this intereting post. Thank you for expanding my mind just a tad. Looking at the title of next week's installment, I cannot wait!
James Newman

Well, of course this is the presidential election season, so you can't believe anything you read!

Best regards,

Doug

Rhys Sage

pro member
I think maybe 2/3 stop.

Doug

I remember fancying the idea of a camera that was silent but didn't think much of the pelical mirror for several reasons:
1. Grime on the mirror would appear on the image.
2. The mirror coating was on the surface and thus very prone to damage.
3. The loss of a stop or so was a big thing for somebody that normally shot HP5 in order to get the extra speed.