• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographing Art

doug anderson

These are all hand held shots at 400 or 800 ISO with Nikon D300, 17-35 F2.8 Lens. I used mostly F 5.6 and 3.2, aperture priority. The lighting at the Met is very good, combining skylights and strip lights of various kinds.

It's fun to find a composition that elucidates the art, and the challenge is to context it with, or exclude it from the other pieces.

373083542_4c2zq-L.jpg

doug anderson

373087377_jmhkb-L.jpg

Somebody told me all these statues were originally painted: flesh color, blue or brown eyes, etc. Anybody know if this is true?

doug anderson

373087630_cSxn8-L.jpg

The woman's face is badly eroded (or defaced by crusaders). This is Roman. The Roman faces all show a kind of ironic weariness; the Greek faces seem to show wonder at being alive. This guy seems to be thinking, "Well, I've got all the money, all the women I want, but I ate too much."

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Thanks for the show. With a title "Photographing Art" we expect the question of "How to get rid of reflections?" Instead we haver some of the most beautiful photos of sculptures I have seen, and that's a lot, including my own. Yet there are no introductions. Yes, it's at the Metropolitan Museum. But tell us more!

Asher

doug anderson

Doug,

Thanks for the show. With a title "Photographing Art" we expect the question of "How to get rid of reflections?" Instead we haver some of the most beautiful photos of sculptures I have seen, and that's a lot, including my own. Yet there are no introductions. Yes, it's at the Metropolitan Museum. But tell us more!

Asher

Thanks, Asher: I've included a few comments. I am particular struck with the difference between the Greek and Roman Art. The Greeks seem to be saying, "What a wonder it is to be alive; the Romans seem to be saying, "Jeesh, another orgy? I'd rather go see people burn Christians."

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks, Asher: I've included a few comments. I am particular struck with the difference between the Greek and Roman Art. The Greeks seem to be saying, "What a wonder it is to be alive; the Romans seem to be saying, "Jeesh, another orgy? I'd rather go see people burn Christians."

Thanks for the comments; much appreciated! Still, can you indicate which are Greek and which roman for the folks who have not perhaps seen such fine work? This, after all, is avery wonderful window on a collection they might not easily get to see!

Asher

doug anderson

Thanks for the comments; much appreciated! Still, can you indicate which are Greek and which roman for the folks who have not perhaps seen such fine work? This, after all, is avery wonderful window on a collection they might not easily get to see!

Asher

One, Two and Three are Greek. I'm not sure about the frieze: it may be a Roman treatment of Greek themes. The reclining figure is Roman, the standing black sculpture and those around it are neither Greek nor Roman: they are Rodin, nineteenth century French. The last bust is Roman.

doug anderson

Doug,

Asher

By the way, the Met has enlarged its Greek-Roman collection with some spectacular pieces.

Also, there is a Turner show there that is a knockout. Both his paintings and his watercolors.