• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ladybug

Bart de Vries

1017839-ladybug-v135te-cs3.jpg

|visoflex|bellows|tubes|135te|

Gary Ayala

Nice ... maybe a bit more contrast (at least on my monitor) on the dew dropplets for a bit more pop ... but that is just a nit ... overall very nice Bart.

Gary

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bart,

A very warm welcome, I am glad to see that you've decided to "delurk" :)
It is especially nice to have yet another Dutchie around here.

The picture is excellent. The composition, details, sharpness, bokeh; the whole package. Thanks for showing. This was film, I presume since you mentioned bellows? If so, how did you scan it?

Cheers,

PS: We already have a Bart, so how shall we address you? LOL

Bart de Vries

Hi Bart,

A very warm welcome, I am glad to see that you've decided to "delurk" :)
It is especially nice to have yet another Dutchie around here.

The picture is excellent. The composition, details, sharpness, bokeh; the whole package. Thanks for showing. This was film, I presume since you mentioned bellows? If so, how did you scan it?

Cheers,

PS: We already have a Bart, so how shall we address you? LOL

Hi there Cem_Usakligil,

You're right about my lurking , for months I enjoy the wonderful close-up&macro photos here and just today I decided to try the water. BTW - it was Sean Reid who lead me to this site, but not necessarely to this particular forum.
As for the other 'Bart': or he has to go :)) or you may call me 'Knorp', I'll change my signature accordingly. Now for Cem_Usakligil: that's a bit of a mouthful, isn't it, so how should I address you ?

Perhaps you should do you're homework next time: I'm using an M8 for scanning, ok ?

Kind regards and thank you for the welcome words.

Bart de Vries

Nice ... maybe a bit more contrast (at least on my monitor) on the dew dropplets for a bit more pop ... but that is just a nit ... overall very nice Bart.

Gary

Hi Gary,
thank you for your comments, very much appreciated.
But I can't agree on the contrast though, anymore contrast I fear would degrade the overall image quality, but perhaps it's my poor PP skills ... :(
Now I don't doubt your monitor, could it be the way this site handles photos ?

All the best.

Gary Ayala

Hi Gary,
thank you for your comments, very much appreciated.
But I can't agree on the contrast though, anymore contrast I fear would degrade the overall image quality, but perhaps it's my poor PP skills ... :(
Now I don't doubt your monitor, could it be the way this site handles photos ?

All the best.

Hey Bart-

The internet is not the best method to view photographs ... but it's all we have. I wasn't thinking of a global change of contrast ... but a selective contrast bump or even a slight burning/darkening just on the dew drops. Just a suggestion to see if any improvement is possible. Sometimes suggestions work ... and sometimes they don't.

Gary

Bart de Vries

Hey Bart-

The internet is not the best method to view photographs ... but it's all we have. I wasn't thinking of a global change of contrast ... but a selective contrast bump or even a slight burning/darkening just on the dew drops. Just a suggestion to see if any improvement is possible. Sometimes suggestions work ... and sometimes they don't.

Gary

Ok Gary, took your advice and did a quick touch-up. Frankly I like it better this way, so what do you think ?

1017839-ladybug-v135te-cs3-test.jpg

Gary Ayala

The second has my vote also. The darker dew droplets compete less for the viewers attention making it easier to focus on the ladybug. Question, are those droplets dew or nectar?

Gary

Bart de Vries

The second has my vote also. The darker dew droplets compete less for the viewers attention making it easier to focus on the ladybug. Question, are those droplets dew or nectar?

Gary

Thank you for your advice Gary, normally I would never retouch like this 'locally', but now ... mmm it makes me wonder :) Yes I'm lousy and lazy when it comes to PP :(

Those droplets are dew, don't know what that ladybug was doing there, no aphids around as far as I could see. Not much sun around too, though the light was bright enough but even then I was not sure how those droplets would turn out in the picture: well not too bad.

Thanks again for your help, patience and advice.
All the best.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ok Gary, took your advice and did a quick touch-up. Frankly I like it better this way, so what do you think ?

1017839-ladybug-v135te-cs3-test.jpg

This is one of the most beautiful nature pictures I have ever seen. The lad-bug (lady-bird in the U.K.) is no doubt drinking.

This is a picture to be proud of. What's the story of how you came to find this? Also can you show a shot of your setup with the Visoflex (Bellow) and tubes?

Asher

Bart de Vries

Stunning shot. Hand held?

Hello Doug,

let me start saying that I love my gear to pieces, but no way that I can hand held it and expect a sharp picture. Not mentioning my back ...
So I do use a tripod for my rig: visoflex-3 w/ vertical viewer, bellows-2, 135 tele-elmar, m8, uv/ir cut-filter and two extention tubes.

Picture data: i=160, s=1/2 , a=11, ev=-0.66

I'm still in the process of constructing a flash-bracket ... and except for the extra speed I hope the (fill) flash will bring me that so badly needed little sparkle in my pictures. Gary was right about the droplets, the flat light made them look a bit dull.

Must be awesome though to hand held your gear for macro-photography.

Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Bart de Vries

Sorry Cem, I forgot my homework too :(

Hi there Cem_Usakligil,

You're right about my lurking , for months I enjoy the wonderful close-up&macro photos here and just today I decided to try the water. BTW - it was Sean Reid who lead me to this site, but not necessarely to this particular forum.
As for the other 'Bart': or he has to go :)) or you may call me 'Knorp', I'll change my signature accordingly. Now for Cem_Usakligil: that's a bit of a mouthful, isn't it, so how should I address you ?

Perhaps you should do you're homework next time: I'm using an M8 for scanning, ok ?

Kind regards and thank you for the welcome words.

Apologies Cem I didn't notice your signature, my bad ...
But how is it pronounced: is it like 'kem' or 'sem' ?

All the best.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bart,

I'm happy for your last post. Cem is one of my really favorite guys and I can vouch that you will really value him too!

Trouble is not enough of us have ever handled an M8. I can testify to its beauty as a reportage camera but a most of us still think of Leica cameras being film. We do have quite a few M8 shooters. Still, it's good to mention the type camera being used.

Asher

Bart de Vries

Hi Bart, here's Bart (to add to the potential confusion ;-)),

I believe Cem's name is pronounced as something between Jam (food or music) and Gem (jewel). Cem will correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW where does "knorp" come from?

Bart

Hi Bart,

All right Cem as Jam/Gem it is, I got that, like to pronounce names as correctly as possible.
Well 'knorp' comes from 'KNOeperd' en 'kaRPer', I used to fish for carp, and the name dates back as far as 1975.

All the best.

Bart de Vries

... What's the story of how you came to find this? Also can you show a shot of your setup with the Visoflex (Bellow) and tubes?
Asher

Hello Asher,

thank you for kind words, I've found this while walking about in my favourite park (Jac.P. Thijsse) near Amsterdam. This park is great for close-up&macro photography and in general to enjoy plants and animals. Especially early morning dew or winter icicles are a treat.

Here is a shot of my rig:
1020567a-viso-bellows-135te-m8-cs3.jpg

(only one extention tube here)

Kind regards.

Cem_Usakligil

Apologies Cem I didn't notice your signature, my bad ...
But how is it pronounced: is it like 'kem' or 'sem' ?

All the best.
Hi Bart,

I am so sorry that I could not reply to you earlier, I have been rather distracted around that time.
No hurt feelings at all and I hope it is mutual :)

My name is pronounced as gem, as Bart has also written before me.

So you fish(ed) for carp? I have never done that myself although I have been an amateur salt water fisherman when I still lived in Istanbul way back then. Now that was really something <sigh>.

Cheers,

Bart de Vries

Hi Bart,

I am so sorry that I could not reply to you earlier, I have been rather distracted around that time.
No hurt feelings at all and I hope it is mutual :)

My name is pronounced as gem, as Bart has also written before me.

So you fish(ed) for carp? I have never done that myself although I have been an amateur salt water fisherman when I still lived in Istanbul way back then. Now that was really something <sigh>.

Cheers,

Hi there Cem,

thanks for your reply, no hard feelings here either.
Glad you're fine and so am I ... :)

Kind regards.