• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

photokina shots.

During the first 4 days off photokina 2008 I was demoing on the Leaf booth with the Leaf AFi-II 7 and Leaf AFi-II 10, although the conditions during a show are terrible due to ambiant light making it almost impossible to judge the way the light will behave I do like the outcome of the following outcomes, so I wanted to share them.....

Eva_Photokina_25_September_2008_Leaf__%283_of_24%29.jpg

Eva_Photokina_25_September_2008_Leaf__%2822_of_24%29.jpg

Eva_Photokina_23_en_24_September_2008_Leaf_%28474_of_612%29.jpg

Eva_Photokina_23_en_24_September_2008_Leaf_%28395_of_612%29.jpg

MvrGr,
Frank

charlie chipman

I think they turned out great, I particularly like #3.

I love it when the light source makes it's way into the picture like this, I've been wanting to use fluorescent bulbs in a similar fashion (yeah I know.......I'm on a budget :) )

I have seen the Profoto strip light and it's astronomical price but I really don't know much about them.

Besides doing as you have done and including the light into the composition whats the main reason people use these? It seems a striplight softbox would have a similar effect for much cheaper.... I must be missing something?

Last edited:
The light fall off of this unit is very nice so that's why people use it.
Try looking at the BACHT version, it's the same thing but much cheaper.
Profoto prices are indeed way over the top.

It seems a striplight softbox would have a similar effect for much cheaper.... I must be missing something?

Hi Charlie,

I'm not quite sure as to how well informed you are about (studio) lighting gear, so take my following remarks as general (so not specifically pointed at you).

The character/effect of lightsources is largely determined by their relative or angular size to the subject. Wide/large lightsources, such as cloudy skies or large (parabolic) umbrellas or softboxes, will provide smooth shadow edge gradients and related shadow patterns. Relatively small (diameter or linear size) light sources will produce relatively harsh (contrast) transitions.

A striplight combines those characteristics. It's smooth in one, harsh in the other, dimension. Therefore, the rotational orientation of the lightsource is (yet) another (creative) variable which is available to the photographer.

Bart

I think he meant a striplight and this striplight.

I have to add that with the prices profoto charges for these units I would never buy one myself, I think 7000.00 euro for the large version is a "bit" on the high side.

The advantage of this light is the light transition, due to the curved surface you get a very directional light in behaviour but without the harscher edge transfer you get with a triplight.
In other words you can light very precise but without the harscher edge.