• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sensor sizes - new tutorial article

Doug Kerr

Several curious conventions are used to describe the general size of sensors in digital cameras. We often find the size of sensors of “compact” digital cameras described with a notation such as 1/1.7” (which refers to a sensor size of about 0.32” x 0.24”). In a larger camera range, we find a sensor size described as 2/3” (that sensor size is about 0.26” x 0.35”). In a larger range yet, we may find an 0.89" x 0.59" (22.5 mm x 15.0 mm) sensor described as “1.6x”. That same sensor is sometimes described as being “APS C” size, or as “APS size”.

Depending on our current or prior interests, we may be familiar with one or more of these conventions, but not likely all - and we may not know all the fascinating "back stories". I've brought the facts and stories of all of them together in a new tutorial article, "Describing Digital Camera Sensor Sizes", avaialble here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#SensorSizes

I hope you find it interesting.