• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Muddy Water

Recent heavy rain in the Midwest resulted in some serious flooding in Northern Illinois. It also caused some of the almost-always-dry stream beds to actually carry water away from normally dry watersheds.

103069664.jpg

This is muddy water running over a little sandstone stream bed near the south bank of the Illinois River. It is one of those almost-always-dry stream beds. Towns along the river endured terrible flooding while this little cascade bubbled to life for a few hours.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

doug anderson

Recent heavy rain in the Midwest resulted in some serious flooding in Northern Illinois. It also caused some of the almost-always-dry stream beds to actually carry water away from normally dry watersheds.

103069664.jpg

This is muddy water running over a little sandstone stream bed near the south bank of the Illinois River. It is one of those almost-always-dry stream beds. Towns along the river endured terrible flooding while this little cascade bubbled to life for a few hours.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Tom: I usually don't like these kind of "fluffy water" shots because they've become generic, but I like this one. This one's got some real energy. How long was the exposure? The composition (cropping?) is perfect IMHO.

Best,

Doug

Doug, thanks for the comments. I spent over an hour at this little section of stream experimenting with variations of composition, exposure, and focal lengths. This one was taken with my Canon 5D using the old Canon 28-70 f/2 at 58mm, f 9.0, 1/6 sec at ISO400.

The entire day was spent shooting muddy water. One aspect of the stuff I thought interesting was how water appearing almost opaque to the eye becomes amber colored and almost syrup like in a still photo. Reckon I'm just very easily amused these days.

Tom