• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Back from Scotland again......

janet Smith

pro member
Well you asked for more photos Will, so here are a few more my last trip up north.....

IMG_0058cleanSS001.jpg

We stayed on the beautiful Isle of Raasay for a week, fantastic views across to the Cuillin mountains on the Isle of Skye.

mergeof3cleanSS002.jpg

From Inverarish beach, Isle of Raasay across to the Isle of Skye

ArdeheslaigbyKenmoremergecleanSS002.jpg

Then we went to Applecross on the mainland for a week, weather dull and grey, but still beautiful saw pods of dolphins and otters every day from the windows, too brief to catch photos though....

IMG_0033SSA.jpg

Spent a lot of time walking, reading, taking 1000's of shots, still wading my way slowly through them, let me know what you think to these few so far....

I truly enjoy seeing your images from these faroff places. Faroff to me anyway. The colors are dazzling and the landscapes delectable. We hardly have so much as a hill here in Houston. I could probably also drive for days and days and never come across such an empty and peopleless place. I do not see any roads around these houses. I presume they are there but just not visible in your photos? Why are there not many windows? Do they have a lot of storms here perhaps? I look forward to continuing this journey with you.
James

janet Smith

pro member
I truly enjoy seeing your images from these faroff places. Faroff to me anyway. The colors are dazzling and the landscapes delectable. We hardly have so much as a hill here in Houston. I could probably also drive for days and days and never come across such an empty and peopleless place. I do not see any roads around these houses. I presume they are there but just not visible in your photos? Why are there not many windows? Do they have a lot of storms here perhaps? I look forward to continuing this journey with you.
James

Hi James

Thanks for stopping by....

I hate commercial/crowded places, the only roads near these houses are single track roads with occassional passing places, very few cars, the house we stayed in the second week is actually down a small track then a private drive completed alone at the water side (not one of the cottages shown here) with a huge glass frontage right by the water, may post some shots later.....

Raasay is a small island, fantastic for walking with spectacular views to the Isle of Skye to one side of the island and views to the Torridon mountains and Applecross peninsula to the other side, very few people, so you can drive/walk often without seeing another person for miles and miles, my idea of heaven, but not everyone's..... Only one tiny shop on the island, selling very basic provisions and no petrol on the island. We absolutely loved it and will be going again next year, possibly mid-winter to get the Cuillins covered with snow hopefully.

You asked about windows, the houses have windows to the front side, it is a traditional style of cottage in Scotland called a "Butt & Ben" (don't know why!) and yes there are a lot of storms, we were in Applecross in January last year, and the wind was ferocious most of the time we were there, power cuts are frequent, water supplies are mostly private, i.e. a pipe in a nearby stream.... No mains drainage...

If ever you want to visit Scotland let me know and I'll tell you some great places to go....

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Janet,

They are beautiful photos - I love the first one (with the cottage in the lower right). It would make a terrific photo for the cottage should it ever be for sale!

Might be planning a trip to the Scottish Islands next summer - so expect some questions if we do!

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Might be planning a trip to the Scottish Islands next summer - so expect some questions if we do!

Hi Andrew

Glad you like them, thank you.... I'd be delighted to help in anyway that I can if you're intending to go PM me and I'll send you any info I can.

If you're thinking of going to the remoter parts you need to book early, few properties with lots of people wanting them, we had to book the house at Applecross almost 2 years ahead, and are already booked for next year...

Hi Jan,

I particularly like the second (mergeof3cleanSS002.jpg) image. You've stuck a nice balance between foreground detail and a centered background.
Centered versus "rules of third" is by no means bad, as you've shown here. It in fact is knowing when to deviate, that defines compositional strength.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jan,

I particularly like the second (mergeof3cleanSS002.jpg) image. You've stuck a nice balance between foreground detail and a centered background.
Centered versus "rules of third" is by no means bad, as you've shown here. It in fact is knowing when to deviate, that defines compositional strength.

Bart
Hi Jan,

Well done, great job. I am with Bart on this one so I echo his comments. I also like the tonality of the second one a lot.

The horizon on the first one seems to be a bit rotated CW or am I just imagining?

The only nitpick I have about the 3rd one is that the chimenys are just touching the island and/or coast line in the background. If you had the chance to climb higher -which may not be physically possible at all- they would then have been surrounded by the waters of the lake.

Thanks for showing.

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Jan,

Bart

Hi Bart

Thanks for the feedback which I appreciate, BTW the 2nd one is my favourite out of these too.

I took loads of shots from Inverarish, all variations on the one that you see, have done several more pano's (still going throught them) and have made a couple of large square ones which are looking good so far... Also braved the midges at dusk one night and took some shots from the same location but they're proving more difficult to merge because of the movement of the sea and the longish exposures....

janet Smith

pro member
The horizon on the first one seems to be a bit rotated CW or am I just imagining?

Thanks for your comments, I think you're right Cem, I've got some more very similar and have made a pano from 3 which is possibly looking better, I'll take another look at it...

The only nitpick I have about the 3rd one is that the chimenys are just touching the island and/or coast line in the background. If you had the chance to climb higher -which may not be physically possible at all- they would then have been surrounded by the waters of the lake

This was the optimum position, there is in fact rough forest behind the house, had I climbed up the view of the loch would have been obscured by trees. Again I have loads of variations will check through for alternatives.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Janet

More lovely work from Scotland! I particularly like the second shot - the centred comsposio seem very balanced in this. I also appreciate the skies on the first two in particular - bringing back the memories!

Mike

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Mike

Glad to have brought back nice memories for you. If you haven't been to Raasay, I would highly recommend it. The ferry runs back and forth between Skye and Raasay every couple of hours from 8am to 6.30pm approx, so we hopped back to Skye several times during the week to get food and petrol. We maybe going to go to Mull and Iona next year, we've been to Mull for day trips several times before but have never stayed there, just in the process of looking for a house in a good location.....

janet Smith

pro member
A beautiful place. I can see why you go there. Actually I like the first shot the best.

Hi Ron

Thanks for your comments, it is much more beautiful than I can possibly convey, the shot you like is near Hallaig, there are fantastic long distance views across to other islands and absolute silence apart from occassional bird song and rustling of the bracken, perfect peace. Can't wait to go back again....