• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just so you know I'm lurking!

Mary Bull

I registered for this list because I wanted to read here, but the topics are so varied and interesting that you may actually see an occasional post from me.

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie, graduated from that to a Polaroid Land, and from there to a Minolta SRT 101. It's still good, except the match-needle is stuck. I have a 50 mm lens for it, a 400 mm, and a 28 mm.

I used to take pictures of my children with it--my daughter a favorite subject--of scenes on our farm, and for a couple of winters of birds in the snow, and even later of birds through a one-way mirror at a window-sill feeder.

In 1998 I graduated to a Kodak Digital, and from there in 2003 to a Canon G2. But its battery won't take a charge now, so I think I have to hie me to the camera store to see about it.

My greatest pleasure in photography right now, though, is viewing other people's pictures. And reading other people's comments on other people's pictures.

I have had a wonderful time the past two days reading a few threads in toto, and hop-skipping through some others here.

When I brought up the Members List, I noticed that a lot of members are marked "new." Looking forward to gradually getting acquainted with everyone.

You may address me as Mary--I've learned on the Internet not to stand on ceremony, though I may be in an age category of great-grandmother for any really young adults here. :)

I'll report this from my gray eminence: I've had a truly happy lifetime of viewing so far and hope for it to continue as far as the eye can see! There's a lot of interest around where I live, in Nashville, Tennessee.

Ray West

Hi Mary,

I've had a truly happy lifetime of viewing so far and hope for it to continue
as far as the eye can see!
There's a lot of interest around where I live,
in Nashville, Tennessee.

You going to set it to music?

Best wishes,

Ray

Mary Bull

Ray West said:
Hi Mary,

You going to set it to music?

Best wishes,

Ray

<Rolling on the floor laughing> The rhythm is really bad for that, don't you think?

Thanks for the attention, anyway. :)

And best wishes to you, too!

Mary

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Ray,

You have Sherlock Holmes talents, for exposing people.

Yes, the language is beautiful. :)

Asher

Fully exposed, I'm going to try to embed a pic of something really beautiful, my cat M&M, using what I may have learned from reading the "Challenge" thread. I put it on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59889251@N00/jpeg

Hm. Doesn't show in the Preview.

Well, I'll change who I allow to view it on Flickr. That way if the embedding doesn't work whoever wants to can make eye contact with her yellow eyes at Flickr. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos59889251@N00/
?savedsettings=171999298#photo171999298

Double hmm. More hurdles--anyone sufficiently interested will have to copy and paste the URL into the browser in 2 parts.

Well, I hope I'm not trying everyone's patience too much. I'm attempting to learn how to get along in the Open Photography Forums by a little reading and a lot of trial-and-errror.

Here goes!

Mary Bull

Martin McLean said:
Hello Mary,

Welcome to OPF.

Just a few hours away in Athens, TN.

Hope to read more of your posts soon.

Best Wishes,

-M-

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the welcome. Nice to see another member from beautiful Tennessee. I hope to see more of your posts soon, too.

Best Wishes,
Mary

Martin McLean

Links are still not working. even when I copy and paste. Don't give up. I had to try a few times to link to my Flickr acct.

Link should look like this:
"http://static.flickr.com/55/145747847_b237538352.jpg"

145747847_b237538352.jpg

Mary Bull

Martin McLean said:
Links are still not working. even when I copy and paste. Don't give up. I had to try a few times to link to my Flickr acct.

Link should look like this:
"http://static.flickr.com/55/145747847_b237538352.jpg"

145747847_b237538352.jpg

Thanks a million, Martin. I'll play with it awhile, using your model.

Yesterday I went to your blog site that I found in your Member Profile. I saw all those lovely changes that you've rung on your rose images.

Refreshing to view in this August heat.

Best wishes always,

Diane Fields

Mary Bull said:

-sill feeder.

In 1998 I graduated to a Kodak Digital, and from there in 2003 to a Canon G2. But its battery won't take a charge now, so I think I have to hie me to the camera store to see about it.
QUOTE]

First of all--welcome Mary.

Here's something I hope that will help you get back to shooting. I had a very old Canon G1 which my 90 year old mother is still using. There comes a time when the batteries reach the end of their rechargeable lives. I'd suggest that you purchase one or 2 of these inexpensive batteries that seem as good as the Canon batteries. I've used them for a good bit of time---and Asher bought some for his recent trip.

http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

Mary Bull

Diane Fields said:
Mary Bull said:

-sill feeder.

QUOTE]

First of all--welcome Mary.

Here's something I hope that will help you get back to shooting. I had a very old Canon G1 which my 90 year old mother is still using. There comes a time when the batteries reach the end of their rechargeable lives. I'd suggest that you purchase one or 2 of these inexpensive batteries that seem as good as the Canon batteries. I've used them for a good bit of time---and Asher bought some for his recent trip.

http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

Thanks for the link, Diane.

And the welcome. I notice that you're not overly far from me in western North Carolina. Beautiful views there, too. We came back from Virginia in September, 2001, driving along through the massive trees that were just beginning to get their fall color. Stopped to make pictures just before we hit the Smoky Mountains, at a Revolutionary War site.

Lot of history in these parts.

My best regards to your mother. My older sister, who lives next door to me, turned 88 in May. It's a joy to be old and still going strong.

Very best wishes,