• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

one light

Marcel Walker

pro member
Some day when I grow up I want to be able to light like Frank.

In the mean time, I have a flash and a 60 inch umbrella and I've be going a little crazy.

I am just loving it!

ysabel+-4_working+MG_0088+copy.jpg

gary+4_MG_0118+copy.jpg

chelsie-final_MG_0046+copy.jpg

Great shots.
You don't need alot of light/technique to really capture a character.
I absolutly love to do work like this sometimes, paying attention to the model/poser him/herself, no fancy technique just raw feeling captures.

WELL done, all three top with a preference for 1-2.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Characters of Flash

One of the characters of flash is that the only things you need are the right apeture setting on camera for the distance from subject to flash to get nice even light from manual mode. These are nicly done

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One of the characters of flash is that the only things you need are the right aperture setting on camera for the distance from subject to flash to get nice even light from manual mode. These are nicly done
Hi Kathy,

I'm glad to find something to disagree with, LOL! You say "the only thing you need are the right aperture setting on the camera for the distance", but that's not sufficient! What makes the light work is how the intensity is distributed and transitions. That's what separates merely lighting a subject well from using light artistically. The most important and difficult matter to accomplish technically and artistically is to paint the transitions with the hand of an angel.

gary+4_MG_0118+copy.jpg

In this example, the lighting is not merely well done by having the "correct" aperture. The lighting is also distributed well. Frank Dorhoof is not just good at choosing aperture. What distinguishes Frank's work, (and is available in his DVD's) is the approach to build transitions. That's where the secret of succsss and failure are to be found.

Asher

oli murugavel

This is great...! I like the third one very much.! Her eyes and hairs on her shoulder attracted me..! Very very strong and confident composition..!

Marcel Walker

pro member
Thanks for all the nice words and yeah Asher, that's what I was trying to do with the whole lighting thing. I really love the way Frank lights his subjects.

I think it's very interesting (and very helpful) to know what pictures have more of an impact depending of your point of view. All three were processed differently (i.e. the first with alot fo the red channel and the last with mainly the blue). I like them for different reasons but the last, I must say. is the most honest, most authentic. I tried to get a grittier look because I was hoping to convey the dignity and nobility of this young teen in her environment. She is the oldest girl of seven children and has a lot of responsibility. I wasn't going for nice or commercial but more of a documentary feel. The first shot is my daughter is her new fashion whatever outfit and I wanted a soft Hurrell feel. I gave both little direction. I'm still working on learning how to process to best represent the subject.

I so appreciate Frank and his emphasis on learning how to use a light meter. I don't have one or really know how to use one but I've assisted a couple of commercial photograhers who both say they aren't necessary. From their results, I would disagree. I've taken classes with lanscape fine arts photographers and they use them religiously. I do meter with my camera (not the best) and will check them in raw to make sure I'm getting what I need to. It would be so much easier just to use a meter!