• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sombre

Stuart Duncan

DSC_3741.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stuart,

This is an impressive monochromatic green-toned image of a stocky hard edged plant stem with one leaf set obliquely on a black background. The simplicity of the composition makes the picture almost a geometric design of one fixed point, the leaf and the line of the sturdy stem. This image might fit in well in a modern sparsely furnished apartment with very geometric lines.

Yes the image seems Sombre. could you introduce this photograph. What led you to make this and deliver it this way? What are the technical specifics of the image?

I can't identify the plant. I can see it is a dichot, that's it!

I'm not sure how I like it yet. I'm going to need to revisit. There's some tension by the closeness of the plant to the right edge. Negative space here does not provide for contemplation in this pressured vertical format, Also the negative space is in the left, which in this case is before the plant and we are not peaceful enough to enter.

I'd love to see how how you started!

Asher

Stuart Duncan

Hi Asher , thanks for the thoughtful comments . The image is almost as shot ,with only a small amount cropped to allow for positioning , I chose the title more so for the way I felt about the decaying stem as to how it looks as this was among a large area of new growth , the transitional period of winter and spring . The negative space as you pointed out so well you are not able to enter , I interpreted this more as the eye being forced back into the subject and being confronted by it also aided by the tight crop on the right which helps to pull the eye to that side . The green tone is an attempt at giving it an 'air ' of remembrance of its recent self .Thanks again .