• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Coastal Dawn

Matt Halstead

Hi Guys,

The first shot to be processed from my recent trip to Ibiza.

Any comments would be greatfully apreciated!

2978873503_aa52cf0827.jpg

A bigger version can be viewed here.

Many thanks!

Read about this shot and others at my photoblog:

Imagespike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Matt,

The image is impressive. The composition is unusual with two major zones of interest. The textured dark lower zone, by itself would be interesting as would the steamy cauldron of a among the rocks and then the flat sea to the horizon and sunset.

There is tension between the foreground which is immediate and demands attention with a central round fixed body of water in the lower portion fixing our eyes like a cyclops eye, dominant and impressive.

So this picture has life and although the background is peaceful and calming, the tension is there as if there's some argument going on. I'm not sure how much I like it yet because it has the appearance of some other-worldlyness, like in the images produced by the synthetic landscape 3D generators. However, I'm impressed. I'd love to know more about this and how you travelled to this position in your work. After all, there might be some background and references which this picture calls upon.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I agree with Asher's comments regarding the duality of the picture.
One can create two separate equally interesting pictures by cropping as follows:

dawn_crop_1.jpg

dawn_crop_2.jpg

I am impressed too, thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Matt,

I've looked at your website and it's very interesting. I like the way you being people into your world, at least a little. In particular I enjoyed your farm picture with the hay and the front page of the Cotswald Magazine having used your work*! congrats. Did they pay you?

Again thanks for sharing. I like your work!

Asher

*Do you now have your name, contact info, © details and licensing info in the IPTC code of your pictures. For anyone who doesn't know, add that via your cataloging program or Photoshop under FILE and file info. That will prevent people claiming they thought your picture is in the public domain!

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Matt,

My first thought on seeing the image was that it looked like it was taken on a different planet - it looks like an image from a world where volcanoes burn and oceans steam!

It's a beautiful image, and certainly not your typical Ibiza photo. Out of curioisity how much colour tweaking was required for this image (either via filters on camera or in photoshop)? Was the scene lit with such extraordinary colours when you were there?

Cheers,

Matt Halstead

Thanks for all the helpful feedback guys, much appreciated.

With regards your views on the composition of the shot, to be quite honest I much prefer the original shot as opposed to the edits, as i believe the image needs to be viewed whole, not broken down into components, which would then only tell a partial story.

Thanks for taking the time to edit the shot, it was interesting to see your views