• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

300f4 + 500D

Harvey Moore

I am starting to get comfortable using the 300 f4 IS + 500D closeup adapter. I like the combo.

221019429_82f749b96c_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Harvey,

What's the working distance and can the lens take a lens mounted flash for close ups?

I use a ring flash on the EF 50 2.5.

Asher

Harvey Moore

The 300 f4 IS has a filter thread of 77mm, so a step down adapter would probably be needed. I do not own a ring flash.

Distance to front element was approx 14", I will set up and measure with a tape later and add a more accurate number. This was shot in the field, or more accurate in the four acre Meadow which is part of the SC Botanical Gardens in Clemson, SC. An area that holds many photographic fascinations for me.

300 f4.0 IS + 500D, f11, 1/320, ISO 400, IS off, Tripod used, camera 5D.

Here is the full frame as exported by Lightroom (another subject, but I am enthusiastic for LR since spending some time to become somewhat familiar with it). The white part of the bud is around 3/8" across. Default processing by LR was a lot brighter, I brought it down for esthetic reasons, whites are not blown out.

221311859_bcff165fd3_o.jpg