• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Matador -vs- Bull

Bill Miller

100_0046_VELVIA_web.jpg

Exposure time: 1/250
Shutter speed: 1/256.00
F-stop: 10.0
ISO speed: 125
Focal length: 200.0000

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bill,

An impressive picture! Suitable for Roman of old, but a much smaller scale of blood combat. I would hope we're going to see more of this shoot as this is special. I guess this blood sport has at least another 20 to 100 years to go, but the spectacle is worth seeing and recording for it's beauty and horror and evidence of cruelty to animals and the handsome gymnastic acting of stalwart men.

I would wager that there are those short spear daggers with colored streamers embedded in the bull's back, as I see blood on the horns.

So this, from the file is Velvia film, but taken when and how did you scan it?

Asher

Asher Kelman

The 11th commandment,

"Thou shall not trick yours truly! It's too easy. No crowing points, none!" Still where are the sibling pictures and the what, where and when of the event and unlucky bloody bull!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Bill,

Yes, these pictures do speak for themselves! We know enough about bullfights and "we get it" fast. This together with your previous picture and the common elements of the matador and segment of the white line in the sienna dirt, hold a narrative together. We need more. The bull with the piecing in its back and the colored streamers comming from this and so on.

I find the matadors to be very elegant. Equally the others who work with him to cause the bull to turn away from the star guy in times of danger, are also impressive in their own rights but not often as celebrated.

So when and where did this happen? This is enjoyable to watch, as the pictures appear and we lean more. Don't anyone flame me for that. It's not good to hurt animals but the pictures are a separate thing.

Asher

Bill Miller

Asher,

Time and place do not matter. No additional pictures from this event to be posted. This shooting session was not a travelogue or political statement in the sport of Bull fighting. The intense colors of the Arena and Matadors make for excellent prints nothing more nothing less.

This goes back to the basic question you always ask of everyone. "What is the significance of these to you?" Let me answer you this way, maybe not what you expect. From the day I first used a Crown Graphic in the 50's until today, the end goal was always the same to earn Money! This is the reason I copyright everything, paying the US Copyright office their fees and submitting the CD's.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Time and place do not matter. No additional pictures from this event. This shooting session was not a travelogue or political statement in the sport of Bull fighting. The intense colors of the Arena and Matadors make for excellent prints nothing more nothing less.

Bill,

"Time and place do not matter." Probably not for some stock photography. For my own use for my art and for OPF, however, it really is something we might ask in particular cases*. I hope I never use an image of uncertain provenance.

"The shooting session, too was not a political statement", but the two images together do make statements. There are not merely bright colors! This is not a trite subject to most people. What it means to you and what it would mean to me are, of course separate.

This goes back to the basic question you always ask of everyone. "What is the significance of these to you?" Let me answer you this way, maybe not what you expect. From the day I first used a Crown Graphic in the 50's until today, the end goal was always the same to earn Money! This is the reason I copyright everything, paying the US Copyright office their fees and submitting the CD's.

Two points here.

"What's the significance of this photograph to you"
or as Ken has put it so well, "Why is this compelling to you?" apply only when are flummoxed as to the purpose, meaning and role of the picture. There may be obvious technical issues which, if the purpose were known, would be more readily addressed. Still work presented as "Art", and I have approached a practical tentative and evolving definition for us to consider, should be introduced so we know what planet it's coming from.

"paying the US Copyright office their fees" I can imagine that. I have well documented records so it would be easy to prove who is the creator and yes, an end goal for most of us here is to make money too!

I wish you had taken more of the scene. Even if someone would have requested just those two pictures, I'd by now, have a larger portfolio of these colorful, socially important pictures, to show and potentially even make money for me! But you didn't and that's that! A pity!

Asher

*We had one guy on OPF, since departed who claimed a bunch of images were all his work when they were of different locations in the same period of time. That's why we prefer people not erase the EXIF and have the © at least and licensing info in the IPTC code too, if they wish.

Bill Miller

Bill,

"Time and place do not matter." Probably not for some stock photography. For my own use for my art and for OPF, however, it really is something we might ask in particular cases*. I hope I never use an image of uncertain provenance.

"The shooting session, too was not a political statement", but the two images together do make statements. There are not merely bright colors! This is not a trite subject to most people. What it means to you and what it would mean to me are, of course separate.

Two points here.

"What's the significance of this photograph to you"
or as Ken has put it so well, "Why is this compelling to you?" apply only when are flummoxed as to the purpose, meaning and role of the picture. There may be obvious technical issues which, if the purpose were known, would be more readily addressed. Still work presented as "Art", and I have approached a practical tentative and evolving definition for us to consider, should be introduced so we know what planet it's coming from.

"paying the US Copyright office their fees" I can imagine that. I have well documented records so it would be easy to prove who is the creator and yes, an end goal for most of us here is to make money too! If you have not registered them, then you will be hard pressed to collect damages. Also you would have to pay your own attorney fees.

I wish you had taken more of the scene. I have over 277 taken at the same event. Even if someone would have requested just those two pictures, I'd by now, have a larger portfolio of these colorful, socially important pictures, to show and potentially even make money for me! But you didn't and that's that! A pity! LOL got you again making an assumption with no basis in fact.

Asher

*We had one guy on OPF, since departed who claimed a bunch of images were all his work when they were of different locations in the same period of time. That's why we prefer people not erase the EXIF and have the © at least and licensing info in the IPTC code too, if they wish.

Check the above. BTW Asher I always have more, and chose to post only a few.

Asher Kelman

Bill,

Funny, you are!

You talk in great sweeps like

"Time and place do not matter. No additional pictures from this event"

But they both matter to me. You play as if this is a game of cards, where you must hide your hand.

Then after I show surprise, you write:

Bill Miller said:
I wish you had taken more of the scene. I have over 277 taken at the same event. Even if someone would have requested just those two pictures, I'd by now, have a larger portfolio of these colorful, socially important pictures, to show and potentially even make money for me! But you didn't and that's that! A pity! LOL got you again making an assumption with no basis in fact.

But you had written "no additional pictures from this event"!

You can't then change that after the fact and use language like "LOL got you again making an assumption with no basis in fact."

That really speaks of you! We are just showing interest in your photography. Be graceful.

We try to value the best qualities in your pictures.

Asher

Bill Miller

Asher,

It seems you take things to literally, when I say during a post " no additional pictures from this event" I ment no additional to be posted. Simple as that.